Let's discuss new Prog releases that DON'T disappoint...
Nov 2, 2009 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Thermionic Dude

Head-Fier
I have seen a few threads recently with people lamenting some of this year's most-anticipated Prog releases (PT, Muse, Riverside, and DT seemed to disappoint a lot of folks). IMO, all of these releases are worthwhile, but I do understand why some would feel a bit let down.

This is definitely NOT the case with Transatlantic "The Whirlwind", my suggestion for a Prog release that DOES NOT disappoint. I really believe that not only is it the most accomplished of Transatlantic's releases, but it is also a definite high-point in the careers of the individual band members.

In typical Stolt/Morse form, the lyrics are expansive, involving, and ultimately, very uplifting. Although any Christian will readily identify the lyrical content as consistent with this world-view (and be inspired by what they hear), these themes are more "stealthily" presented than what Neal has done with his last few solo releases. I would compare the spiritual content to albums like "Stardust We Are", "Snow", and "Point of Know Return". Roine Stolt has a genuine gift for this type of writing, and his words (and fantastic musicianship) have brought me more peace, inspiration, and delight than any other single musician I can think of (along with Neal Morse and Kerry Livgren).

There is always a risk that egos get out of hand when musicians of the caliber of these guys try to form a "supergroup", but each of these guys is a genuine class-act and they never seem to let anything like this get in the way of the music. Each member contributes the best of his abilities to the album, and the musical result is brilliant. Plenty of tasty guitar (Roine Stolt is just as much a guitar hero as Vai, Satriani, et al.) and bass work, incredible stick action from Portnoy, and great variety in the keys (with plenty of Neal's soulful Rhodes playing).

A long-winded post, but in this day and age of Black-Eyed Peas, Kanye West, Coldplay, Lady Gaga, and emo "flavor of the week" P***Y punk dreck, when a truly excellent album is released, it is reason for celebration!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back