Let's design our own AMP3
Nov 1, 2009 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Booda

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, Headifiers,
AMP3 have been released for several months. As all users know AMP3 is a very unique DAP. It’s sound quality is definitely one of the best DAP in the market. Plus the decent AMP/DAP hybrid, freebie good earphones, super long battery life and moderate price, AMP3 is really worth to expect.

After using AMP3 pro1 and pro2, I find that the players have some“weirdness” with the operation and other matters. I really respect the serious attitude of Hisoundaudio to create both the hardware and software. The AMP3 don’t copy any other players which make us have a completely different new choice.

I like the suggestion of Abellaw that let Hisoundaudio focus on the hardware works to develop more players with better sound quality and let’s help them with the software segment. I think every body has his good ideas on how is the perfect GUI, and what sound signature we like.

I am very happy with Hisoundaudio that they really accepts our opinions. For example, they accepted my opinion on increasing the gain of pro2.

Let’s design our own AMP3, if you have any ideas or suggestions, please contribute it to all music lovers and post it on here. I think Hisounddaudio will see it and applying it to their players by upgrading the software. Then we can really have a perfect player combined with our own design.

Nov 1, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 17
judging from the look of AMP3 maybe hisound should reverse engineer Clip+/Clip interface as their UI maybe add a buttom or two

also use standard SDHC as expansion slot which give more capacity (32GB in current state vs 16GB in microSDHC) in cheaper price since most will use 320kbps or lostless which take up a lot of spaces.

Nov 1, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
judging from the look of AMP3 maybe hisound should reverse engineer Clip+/Clip interface as their UI maybe add a buttom or two

also use standard SDHC as expansion slot which give more capacity (64GB in current state) in cheaper price since most will use 320kbps or lostless which take up a lot of spaces.

AMP3 has the SDHC card slot which can be compatible up to 16GB external memory. by the way I have a discover, AMP3 pro2 have a good perfomance with low bit rate files, even with 96kbps mp3 files, it can satisfy me, mostly I use 192 kbps files. So it save a lot of memorry space for me.

Nov 1, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 17
I mean SDHC not microSDHC also I edit my last post

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #6 of 17
Rather than writing their own firmware why don't the people at hisound just port rockbox. It can't be more expensive, and I'm sure it would work better!

BTW: any chance rockbox will be ported anyway? How about if everyone with an AMP3 donates 10$ to rockbox. I just ordered mine so I don't know how bad it is, but I wouldn't mind paying 10$ for rockbox.

Nov 1, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by turgonml /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rather than writing their own firmware why don't the people at hisound just port rockbox. It can't be more expensive, and I'm sure it would work better!

BTW: any chance rockbox will be ported anyway? How about if everyone with an AMP3 donates 10$ to rockbox. I just ordered mine so I don't know how bad it is, but I wouldn't mind paying 10$ for rockbox.

This has already been discussed in the Amp3 thread more than once. Short answer: No. No way in hell. 0% chance.

On to the OP. I agree with shigzeo about getting rid of the hiss. Definitely at the top of my list. I use a volume attenuator with mine for quiet music and I definitely feel I am losing something a little something in the sound when I do so. I'd rather not try to describe as I'm not so good with the terminology.

I also agree that standard sdhc would make additional capacity cheaper. But with the load time when you change a card, its probably not even worth carrying around multiple cards. Rumor has it there will be a 32gb microSDHC card EVENTUALLY. By which means sometime beyond now and before the end of all existence. Or never. Supposedly it exists though. I linked an sd to microsd (yes SD -> microSD, not the other way) adapter somewhere (in the Amp3 thread I think) that would enable standard sdhc cards to be used. So technically, they already could be used.

I've already dropped mine a few times and even though it is a tank as others have said, I would probably be more comfortable with some rubberized edges or something to make it less slippy. I love the anodized aluminum but it is a portable player not a tabletop component.

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 17
I'm sure there would eventually be a 32gb microSDHC but it would be expensive and I don't believe that there would be many manufacturers of it. For the portable flash memory manufacturer, the push would be for the higher capacity SDXC.

Nov 2, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #9 of 17
acolyte, I assume your answer was in response to my second point. I looked at the rockbox porting process: the main difficulties are figuring out how to interface with the hardware, which for the programmers at Hisoundaudio should be very easy (as they just spent the last few months writing firmware for it). Has this been suggested? Or they could just stick in a bunch of rockbox code into the existing firmware. As someone with some programming experience (alas, not embedded) I don't see why they need to reinvent the wheel!

Nov 2, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #10 of 17
Although a good idea, HiSound have really insisted on their GUI design as a more natural method so I rather think they are not too excited about having a 3rd party port another firmware. Would the AMP3 be better with Rockbox? Of course it would - much better. But, I doubt it will happen.

Nov 2, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by turgonml /img/forum/go_quote.gif
acolyte, I assume your answer was in response to my second point. I looked at the rockbox porting process: the main difficulties are figuring out how to interface with the hardware, which for the programmers at Hisoundaudio should be very easy (as they just spent the last few months writing firmware for it). Has this been suggested? Or they could just stick in a bunch of rockbox code into the existing firmware. As someone with some programming experience (alas, not embedded) I don't see why they need to reinvent the wheel!

You asked if there was any chance and I answered. Yes it has been suggested more than once. It had been discussed in detail in the amp3 thread as I mentioned. I'd find the relevant posts and link but I am too lazy. I wouldn't be shooting your idea down if it hadn't already been suggested and shot down by others many times already. Porting rockbox to a new device is not easy and requires some reverse engineering if I remember correctly. The device is too niche to warrant porting to rockbox. And hisound has already stated they have no interest in doing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulsanman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had thought we were designing our own AMP3!!

Well hypothetically I would love amp3 to have rockbox. I read the OP as asking for suggestions to improve the amp3 to give hisound feedback. There is zero chance for rockbox as I have read in the amp3 thread. I wouldn't have said so if I wasn't convinced 100%. I would love to be shown wrong in this instance but I won't be.

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #13 of 17
Well i guess the change i would want in the amp3 wont happen either as i guess they are technically a hardware change. But i really dislike the way that you access the menu. Where you hold for x seconds and shut it of by holding for x+y seconds. Sorry i cant remember the exact amount of time i think it is 1 and 3 seconds but i am not sure.

If that cant be done then i would like for the hiss to be eliminated.

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by acolyte289 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Porting rockbox to a new device is not easy and requires some reverse engineering if I remember correctly.

It requires reverse engineering only in case nobody knows the firmware organization, flash process, hardware etc. If hisound would have released complete hardware specification (or sources of firmware and flashing utility), no reverse engineering would needed at all. And i believe that there already are drivers for all popular components for rockbox (written while porting rockbox on another devices).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back