Let's Catch A Thief!! (Update: CAUGHT!)
Mar 18, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #47 of 430
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not favoring this guy's actions, but what did TTVJ really lose here? Did he not get paid? (honest question, I don't know how all this stuff works yet being in high school)

No. Once fraud is been filed, then the cc company will take the money back from the recipient (TTVJ) and give it back to the card holder. This basically means TTVJ is left with no money and no merchandise, so he lost out, which is lame.

Quote:
Todd, has it been verified that this is truly a case of credit card fraud?  In other words, could it be that this person IS the real cardholder trying to get it for free? 

This would be one hell of a twist if that were true!

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #48 of 430
IP resolves to a northern Californian ISP but that doesn't mean they couldn't have operations in SoCal.

http://myip.ms/view/ip_addresses/1254489344/74.197.253.0_74.197.253.255

The telephone number resolves to Los Angeles north of Torrence. However because of LNP it could belong to any carrier. Although I can tell you from experience that pre-paid telephones do not allow you to block per number because the CAMEL data profiles don't have a place to store that info. You need a normal subscriber account so you might have a good chance of finding a billing address. The police department would have to do this on your behalf.

Honestly, if you really want to catch them, either wait for the police or pay a private investigator to find the person. With the information you have to work with you could give them a commission on the recovered property and they could use their back channels to find an address within hours.

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #49 of 430
Quote:
making jokes about someone else misfortune is down right inconsiderate and not amusing, Todd out a lot money and he has a family. please show some consideration . Hopefully he is made whole and the guy get caught this is not good for our community either we all sell gear here.

Please... The last thing he needs is a pity-party. You can laugh or you can cry, neither brings the money back in itself, so you might as well lighten up. Nothing good comes out of whining about. It's quite obvious I was attempting to lighten the mood. I wish him the best, and I have confidence the thief will be found. Out of respect for him, I'm not going to argue this point anymore. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #54 of 430
Quote:
HI Guys,

He even answered that number when I called to confront him on the chargeback. He immediately blocked my phone number so I could not call again...

Todd

And you should not have told him about the chargeback then. You could have told him that there was something internally wrong with the amp set that you primarily didn't notice. And you would like to replace them with another ones or repair them for free...or I don't know,,, promote a product for free,,or contact him telling that you'd like his feedback on the GREAT purchase or any way possible to buy some time. It would have been thousand times easier. You could contact the police or detectives while he had the phone number active.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #55 of 430
What a shame. I'll keep my eye on another forums (where im also a member and have friends) if i look something familiar i will let you know folks. Social media is also a powerful resource we can use, if possible share this on facebook..etc. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #56 of 430
That's why I sell audio instead of doing detective work
bigsmile_face.gif

Todd

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #57 of 430
Quote:
HI Guys,

The credit card company always sides with the card holder. This seems to be an identity theft. I have a copy of the card holders credit card statement and many other "proofs" that the person who ordered was who he said he was. Fed Ex checked his ID when he picked up the package and the name and address and photo matched the info for shipping. On Dec 31st I had the funds removed from my account by the credit card company. OUCH! Not a good way to end the year!!!

The reason it took so long is that the local police move at the pace of a snail and it took them months to get the info to the Torrance police dept. The Torrance PD have been helpful, fast, and provided me with the document shown on the first page.

The IP address used by the thief to place the order was... 74.197.253.202 and the phone number he used - and I talked to him numerous times on this number was 424-903-2912. He even answered that number when I called to confront him on the chargeback. He immediately blocked my phone number so I could not call again...

If you can identify this guy, please call the Torrance police and maybe he will be caught. I don't know if I'll ever see the amps again but this is worth a try and the only chance I have.

Thanks and hope someone recognizes this guy soon!

Todd

You should be able to Subpoena the ISP for the address and name of the user, that is if they didn't steal a neighbors wifi or use a starbucks or other internet cafe, the likes of which usually have CCTV security cameras. The number could be a google voice number which is becoming common for drug dealers and identity thieves, With a formal court case you may be able to get some info from them as well, but google is very about privacy and may prove to be a waste of time. From what I can tell the number traces to Redondo Beach, California.

I've dealt with some hacking investigations, and I know the glacial pace the police and government move at, I truly empathize!

Best of luck!
Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype