let x = 2x (check your parts, people!)
Oct 30, 2008 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

linuxworks

Member of the Trade: Sercona Audio
2986565871_e235d01bbd_o.jpg

my god! is it left-shift-binary-by-1-bit day already?
wink.gif

a 150ohm R reading as a 300ohm R.

and yes, my meter is pretty good (BK 878) and all other parts check ok. just this one odd guy!

now how long would it take you to troubleshoot this if you installed it in a circuit?

geeze....

sometimes you just can't trust 'labeling'.

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 3
gives me a headache just imagining it...

I'm sure if you were open minded it would only take as long as any other misplaced resistor...

EDIT: I just realized I do check every resistor before I install it (only a recent habit)

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 3
I may just start checking the obvious parts, now. I have that meter which does pretty well for L,R,C things. I can check hfe on pnp and npn but I have nothing to test fets and sometimes I end up building with those.

granted this was a junky carbon R but it WAS a gold band. also, it was from my 'childhood' parts bin (I'm mid 40's now) and so its quite old as far as 'new old stock' goes
wink.gif
I did check a bunch of others from the same parts bin and all of them were in the 150 ballpark, within reason. just that one bad guy parading as something he wasn't!

I once built a heathkit (again, as a kid) and one of the radios didn't work. we took it to the heath repair center (back then they were big enough to do their own service and support!) and later in the week we got the unit back. one of the flaws was that a diode was banded backwards! I did the right thing as the installer but the manuf goofed. how often do you find mis-banded diodes??

you just can't trust labeling anymore! maybe you never could?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back