Let my sound card do the D/A conversion or my Receiver?
Apr 25, 2012 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

peck1234

100+ Head-Fier
Thinking about upgrading my recieiver to one which has optical ins, therefore I could run an optical out from my sound card and let the reiciever do the D/A conversion.

As of right now, I simply have a 3.5mm plug heading out from my analog jack (realtek) to my receiver via RCA cables (red/white)

Do you think an audible difference will be heard? Which should I let to the D/A conversion? my computer or my receiver?

Comments and suggestions are welcome!  

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 19
BUMP

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 19
Computer motherboards usually come with low cost DACs.
How much were you planing on spending for a receiver?
The Yamaha RX-371 will sometimes go on sale a Newegg for $150 with free shipping.
It comes with surround sound for headphones.

Techbargins & Bountii are two websites to find the cheapest price on A/V receivers.

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 19
That looks perfect, thanks purple.   

100W perchannel for my speaker set up will also be prime. 

Apr 25, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 19
[size=small]See, right now the problem is[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]CD PLAYER>AUX> (Sounds Absolutely Fantastic Super Clear PERFECT audio)[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]VS[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Apple Lossless<3.55mm Split AUX< To receiver (Sounds FLAT and boring lack of details)[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]So im hoping an optical out will fix this issue. Because it's lossless..[/size]

Apr 25, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 19
My brain just kicked in.
Your currently running analog out from the motherboard's built in sound (Realtek).
Apple lossless?
Are you using a Windows PC or Apple computer?

Maybe just invest to a better (external) DAC.
DAC Destroyer (USB/DAC) $50 off eBay.
Fiio D3 (optical) or Fiio D5 (USB) $30.

Apr 25, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 19
Thanks, yes Im on a PC and use iTunes, (I RIP everything Lossless)

I think im going to invest in that reciever actually, since I run all my music from my computer to both my home speakers and headphones.  I'm hoping the audio quality will be EXACTLY the same as if I have the CD player hooked up, since I rip all my music lossless, and I will be using optical out. 

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 19
Apr 26, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #10 of 19
Thanks purple will do. The reason why I even hooked up a cd player to my reciever last night is because I was downstaits with my M50's on listening to a bluray movie which has songs that I know and listen to losslessly.  And I was like "holy hell why does this sound so much better than the sound coming out of my pc"  lol    Anyway very exited about the lossless optical out.

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #11 of 19
Update:!

Ok just got my receiver in today and hooked up my optical out.   Problem is the volume control on the pc (is) working.  Which means my audio is being re-sampled right?  Or no?  Also, when I hook up my cd player I can keep the reciever about -8DB lower than what I need to get the same volume level out of the PC?  

On the good side, quality wise, lossless through optical puts the both my cd player and aux outputs to shame! Details and treble are OUTSTANDING! So yay!!!  
gs1000.gif

IMG%5D

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
Update:!
Ok just got my receiver in today and hooked up my optical out.   Problem is the volume control on the PC (is) working.  Which means my audio is being re-sampled right?  Or no?  Also, when I hook up my cd player I can keep the receiver about -8DB lower than what I need to get the same volume level out of the PC?  
On the good side, quality wise, lossless through optical puts the both my cd player and aux outputs to shame! Details and treble are OUTSTANDING! So yay!!!  
gs1000.gif

IMG%5D

I'm not sure the Yamaha supports Microsoft WMA Pro Audio, so you might want to uncheck that.
The Yamaha supports 192kHz sample rate so you could up the sample rate, nothing wrong with 96kHz, music only needs 44.1kHz sample rate.
If your watching Blu-ray movies, use the 192kHz setting.
If your just doing music (2 channel), makes sure all the audio settings are set to 2 channel, for Windows & Realtek audio settings.
For movies and games set Windows/Realtek audio setting to 5.1

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #13 of 19
Thanks for all the help purple!
Here's some pics!  
beyersmile.png

Optical Out Heading to my
New Yamaha RX-V371 Receiver
Followed by a pair of Bose 301 Series IV Fronts
And Energy CF-500 Rear Towers. 

sNzEu.jpg
TmO6f.jpg
XDW9z.jpg
VBgxi.jpg
SBIop.jpg

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #14 of 19
Update: Think I'm going to RMA, details below.

Found this article below on AVS forums and in my case I completely agree with it. (Quoted Below)

Basically my AX-497 is a hell of a lot better than the 371 (in terms for powering speakers)
and now im thinking I should I just spent all my money on a sound card with a great DAC.

When cranking up the volume on the 371 I the distortoin and noise is very audable.

Also, although the sound is very clear, it feels very undynamic compared to even the sound of my of M50's plugged into my iphone.

IE... THe DAC in my iphone sounds better than the dac on my reciever.  

Found the below statement on AVS forums that I found realated highly to my case. 
[size=small]"I completely disagree about optical out.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]The whole point of getting a quality sound card, like an HT Omega Claro, is because they have such phenomenal DAC's. [/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]You want to output [/size][size=small]ANALOG[/size][size=small] from it, otherwise what's the point? [/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Outputting DIGITAL from it, would simply pass the signal along for the receiver's DAC which is most likely going to be inferior to a quality sound card's DAC. Once the digital -> analog conversion is done, you want to leave it pure and only allow the receiver to amplify the analog sound and no more.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Chances are, unless you have a $750+ Marantz receiver, it will not match the DAC of even a $100 Creative X-Fi card .. and entry level receivers today have very poor DAC's because so much money goes into stupid **** like 3d video switching. [/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]So 67jason.. what kind of receiever do you have? It all depends on what piece of equipment has the better DAC. A receiver will have a better DAC than onboard motherboard sound, so outputting digital for you would be the better option unless you added a nice sound card.. in which you would then benefit from analog again."[/size]

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
Update: Think I'm going to RMA, details below.
Found this article below on AVS forums and in my case I completely agree with it. (Quoted Below)
Basically my AX-497 is a hell of a lot better than the 371 (in terms for powering speakers)
and now im thinking I should I just spent all my money on a sound card with a great DAC.
When cranking up the volume on the 371 I the distortoin and noise is very audable.
Also, although the sound is very clear, it feels very undynamic compared to even the sound of my of M50's plugged into my iphone.
IE... THe DAC in my iphone sounds better than the dac on my reciever.  
Found the below statement on AVS forums that I found realated highly to my case. 
[size=small]"I completely disagree about optical out.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]The whole point of getting a quality sound card, like an HT Omega Claro, is because they have such phenomenal DAC's. [/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]You want to output [/size][size=small]ANALOG[/size][size=small] from it, otherwise what's the point? [/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Outputting DIGITAL from it, would simply pass the signal along for the receiver's DAC which is most likely going to be inferior to a quality sound card's DAC. Once the digital -> analog conversion is done, you want to leave it pure and only allow the receiver to amplify the analog sound and no more.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Chances are, unless you have a $750+ Marantz receiver, it will not match the DAC of even a $100 Creative X-Fi card .. and entry level receivers today have very poor DAC's because so much money goes into stupid **** like 3d video switching. [/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]So 67jason.. what kind of receiever do you have? It all depends on what piece of equipment has the better DAC. A receiver will have a better DAC than onboard motherboard sound, so outputting digital for you would be the better option unless you added a nice sound card.. in which you would then benefit from analog again."[/size]

The RX-V371 is the "value" priced receiver.
Send the Yamaha back and check your local Craigslist, even a 6 year old receiver will come with optical inputs.
So for a $150, you could get a 4 year old receiver that was sold for over $500 (or more) when it was new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back