let me ask a stupid question
Sep 3, 2008 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

life-fi

New Head-Fier
so i was wondering is there were any good amps ( or any amps at all ) that install into the 5.25" bay ( i think thats the name of it ) that is on the front of most desktop computers. this is the same place that you would install a cd or dvd drive. it would be great because then i wouldnt have to reach around my computer everytime i want to watch a movie to plug in my headphones, and i'd rather not have a separate unit because i'm trying to cut down on clutter
redface.gif
i'd also prefer for there to be a 1/4" jack for my 701's btw,the cheaper the better,i'm just a student !

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 6
I suppose you could take a portable amp and install 5.25" mounting rails on the side of it. Not sure how you'd run the power though, unless you want to change batteries all the time.

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 6
The amplifier on the old SB16's (TEA2025B) was just a +12V rail with a 9V regulator on it. You could slap the same thing together if you like. It's not the cleanest thing possible since it's running off the PSU, (pulse modulation, yay) but it works.

I like the way my MDR-V700's sound off an SB16, but they are meant to run within the impedance range of said card. Which impedance are your phones meant to run at?

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 6
Putting an amp inside the PC case would likely lead to a bad case of yucky sound. Too much RFI thrown off by PC PSUs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back