Let make an official heavys h1h thread?
Sep 22, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #31 of 120
It is always hard to say how accurate the measurements are especially at higher frequencies. So please tell, how you find the end result if you try some EQ. :relaxed:
Unfortunately I only have a fixed 10 band EQ with Plexamp on iOS. It’s really quite difficult to do it manually (especially the peak at 3k is really annoying), is there an option for fixed EQs in the tool?
If there isn’t to what value do you set the Q value?

Anyway I think the following values sound at least a bit better with ANC enabled.

Code:
Preamp: -1.7 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 31 Hz Gain -0.2 dB Q 1.000
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 62 Hz Gain -4.7 dB Q 1.000
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 125 Hz Gain -3.0 dB Q 1.000
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 250 Hz Gain 0.1 dB Q 1.000
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 500 Hz Gain -0.7 dB Q 1.000
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain 1.7 dB Q 1.000
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 2000 Hz Gain 1.0 dB Q 1.000
Filter 8: OFF PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 0.0 dB Q 1.000
Filter 9: OFF PK Fc 8000 Hz Gain 0.0 dB Q 1.000
Filter 10: OFF PK Fc 16000 Hz Gain 0.0 dB Q 1.000

1695420774102.png

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #32 of 120
Just received a loan pair of Heavys, so I could measure the FR. These definitely have too much upper bass to produce clean sound, so maybe they pursued live gig style sound or something. I feel the bass is a bit too slow and it masks other frequencies. Even though the aggressive upper mids help to bring energy to the sound, for me they are almost too much. On the other hand, sound is loud and wild, which might suit the target audience. :smile: Extra tweeters can be heard clearly, as treble cuts quite nicely through the thick bass. Cymbals, for example, are well separated without being too bright or piercing. With some music the end result can be fun and powerful sounding, whereas many times I would prefer less bass and smoother upper mids. The multi driver setup is interesting, as it makes the bass, mids and treble sound like they are coming from different places.

1695392309651.png

Deactivating Hell Blocker adds more bass bloat and softens the sound so that bass feels less impactful. On the other hand, this way mids are not too aggressive for me anymore.
1695393768451.png
Are the measurements done via Bluetooth, USB-C or AUX?

Sep 23, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #33 of 120
Are the measurements done via Bluetooth, USB-C or AUX?

The FR was measured with Bluetooth.

Unfortunately I only have a fixed 10 band EQ with Plexamp on iOS. It’s really quite difficult to do it manually (especially the peak at 3k is really annoying), is there an option for fixed EQs in the tool?
If there isn’t to what value do you set the Q value?

Anyway I think the following values sound at least a bit better with ANC enabled.

I have no experience with Plexamp, but if I understood correctly, seems like it doesn't show which Q value it is using for those 10 bands? Without knowing it or the option to change the Q value, I would suggest something like 1.5 for the Squiglink tool. Unfortunately, a fixed mode doesn't exist, as there is a lot of variation between different EQ softwares people are using.

In Heavys, thick upper bass and the peak at 3 kHz kind of compensate each other, so if you lower bass, you probably need to lower the upper mids as well. Thus, with limited EQ bands you might try adding some bass back, as it could work better afterall.

Sep 24, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #34 of 120
I just received mine and working on a 7 to 10 minutes video review on it.

I also want to share EQ settings the I find work best all round and other ideas to improve the experience and also just feedback from all who received them already and want to share their experience.

I'm adding here a Poweramp eq setting the I liked best for Bluetooth

I made two files one a little brighter and one a little boomier

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VeaR8C0InYxMq1Xq-_Dldmk2AFPYkq5i/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VeaR8C0InYxMq1Xq-_Dldmk2AFPYkq5i/view?usp=drivesdk
Hi. I just noticed that both links are the same. Could you please post a sharing link to the other EQ Preset?

Thanks,
Tom

Sep 25, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #35 of 120
Hi. I just noticed that both links are the same. Could you please post a sharing link to the other EQ Preset?

Thanks,
Tom
I'll get to it later this evening

I have not abandoned the idea of making this thread the official h1h thread but lack of interest from heavys to provide missing details and also the fact I can't test them on my PC stack and I don't think I can provide a whole review of them from just Bluetooth testing

When my balanced 2.5 to 4.4mm cable arrive I will reconsider reviving this thread

Sep 26, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #37 of 120
I just have mine on my head plugged into my Hifiman EF600. and it seems the sound is brighter when ANC disabled. Would that also conclude that the bass is less heavy?
ok ignore my last comment, because when using the cable with a DAC AMP you can run them without powering them on. With that one test using the Hifiman EF600 the sound was muffled no matter what position I pushed the power button.
When using bluetooth it is a complete different story the sound quality is soo much better, but I do not hear any difference in bass when ANC enabled or disabled. Also I think that HellBlocker can not improve isolating the outside noise when I am listening to music (aka kinda blasting it :) ). I can say I like them for what they can do also with non-heavy metal songs.
I played the following songs:
- Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast - The Prisioner (flac)
- Disturbed - The Sickness (Explicit) - The Game (mp3)
- Faithless - Reverence - Insomnia (flac)
- Dio - Holy Diver - Holy Diver (awesame intro with the blowing wind and howlings) (flac)
- Enuff'Z'Nuff - Strength - The world is gutter (flac)
- Jinjer - King of Everything - I speak Astronomy (whole cr@p blows your head off, ah no just had to adjust the peak, RMS and Noisefloor via loudness normalization) (orig. mp3, exported as flac)
- Kingdom Come - Hands of Time - I've been trying (mp3)
- Unleash The Archers - Abyss - Waking Dream (flac)
- Unleash The Archers - Apex - Ten tousands against one (flac)
- Jewels - Spark of Life fest. Irosa (webm)
- Infraction - Control (Cyperpunk) (webm) -- punches very well

and for the fun of it:
- Gogol Bordello - Super Taranta - Wonderlust King (mp3) -- works
- Richard Strauss - Also sprach Zarathustra (flac) -- naaah
- The Secret of Monkey Island OST -- sounds good

Sep 27, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #39 of 120
ok ignore my last comment, because when using the cable with a DAC AMP you can run them without powering them on. With that one test using the Hifiman EF600 the sound was muffled no matter what position I pushed the power button.
When using bluetooth it is a complete different story the sound quality is soo much better, but I do not hear any difference in bass when ANC enabled or disabled. Also I think that HellBlocker can not improve isolating the outside noise when I am listening to music (aka kinda blasting it :) ). I can say I like them for what they can do also with non-heavy metal songs.
I played the following songs:
- Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast - The Prisioner (flac)
- Disturbed - The Sickness (Explicit) - The Game (mp3)
- Faithless - Reverence - Insomnia (flac)
- Dio - Holy Diver - Holy Diver (awesame intro with the blowing wind and howlings) (flac)
- Enuff'Z'Nuff - Strength - The world is gutter (flac)
- Jinjer - King of Everything - I speak Astronomy (whole cr@p blows your head off, ah no just had to adjust the peak, RMS and Noisefloor via loudness normalization) (orig. mp3, exported as flac)
- Kingdom Come - Hands of Time - I've been trying (mp3)
- Unleash The Archers - Abyss - Waking Dream (flac)
- Unleash The Archers - Apex - Ten tousands against one (flac)
- Jewels - Spark of Life fest. Irosa (webm)
- Infraction - Control (Cyperpunk) (webm) -- punches very well

and for the fun of it:
- Gogol Bordello - Super Taranta - Wonderlust King (mp3) -- works
- Richard Strauss - Also sprach Zarathustra (flac) -- naaah
- The Secret of Monkey Island OST -- sounds good
So you're saying running them passive via a desktop amp is WORSE than Bluetooth?!

Sep 28, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #43 of 120
So you're saying running them passive via a desktop amp is WORSE than Bluetooth?!
not sure what happened when I plugged into the Hifiman EF600 for the first time (still being turned on, which is not necessary when using the cable connecting to a DAC AMP).
I put the Heavys with the cable through almost all my Desktop DAC AMP and there was now no difference (between Bluetooth and cable). Of course different DAC AMPs do make the music sound different in the signatur. Again not sure what the initial situation was.

Oct 4, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #44 of 120
Got my pair, they actually sound pretty good, I don't mind the midbass bump, but a big issue is that the package came half destroyed along with one of the notches being broken or messed up, which makes one side's clamping force weaker and makes it not seal when putting the headphones on. What a shame.

PXL_20231004_211442883.jpg
Left side (broken)
PXL_20231004_211456241.jpg

Right side

Users who are viewing this thread

Back