Let make an official heavys h1h thread?
Nov 5, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #76 of 120
Here we go! I selected right channel only as like-for-like comparison. The DSP is clearly needed especially for the mids and treble.

1698337499027.png
Thank you very much again for the measurements! I created AutoEQ profile with this AUX Power OFF FR also, and I can tell you the AUX with Power Off sounds a lot better now! This really helped a lot! And the specific profile is clearly better than using the "wrong profile" I made for "BT with Hell Blocker Off" with the AUX mode.

So yes, now I can also listen with AUX cable without powering on the Heavys and they sound really nice now :)

Nov 10, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #78 of 120
OK. So here is a summary of my thoughts on Heavys after first waiting them for 580 days (from the day I backed on Kickstarter to the day I received the headphones). I received my Heavys on September 26th. I backed Heavys, because I usually found Heavy metal on headphones not to sound too good. I wanted to try something new, something that were made for the Heavy metal.

My first thoughts when I got my hands on with Heavys were that the build quality is very nice. Headphones are quite heavy on weight and feel really solid in hand. Nice good quality feeling in general. Buttons are OK, need some time to get used to those. I like the fact that I can use them with gloves on, physical buttons are always nice.

My initial impressions when listening to some music on them were “meh”, these are OK, but nothing spectacular. I had been spoiled already since I had bought my first “starter audiophile headphones” couple of months earlier and I just love the clarity and all the small details with my wired Hifiman HE-X4 planar magnetic Open Back headphones.

So I decided to listen to Heavys as they come for some time to see if I would like them or not. I didn’t listen to any other headphones for a about a week and I started to like the Heavys sound. It was energetic and it was nice.

But as soon as I listened to my Hifiman again, it came clear that the Heavys sound signature was just so much off, so I had to do something about it.

So around October 3rd My first solution was to just try to use Wavelet and create some equalizer correction to just lower the bass push the mids and treble up a bit. I just played with the EQ for a while and this is what I got:
Heavys-First_EQ_Profile_2023-10-03.jpg

With this profile, I already liked to Heavys a lot more! Heavys started to sound much better and vocals got cleaner and overall I just liked the sound more. So I used this profile for little over two weeks.

But as usual, you start to want more. I knew my profile was just quite random adjustment and there was no science or any measurements behind it. So it wasn’t the optimal solution. For this I wanted to try to find if there was Heavys Frequency response graph somewhere so maybe I could use that to improve the sound. And that’s when I stumbled upon this thread on ~ October 20th.

Now with the measurements done by Sword of Damocles I was able to use the amazing https://squig.link website and create an AutoEQ profile for Heavys.
Heavys-AutoEQ_profile_2023-10-20.jpg

With this I finally got an EQ profile that was not just based on my gut feelings, but based on actual measurements. You can find my Wavelet AutoEQ profile attached into this post, just save it on your phone and import to Wavelet as new AutoEQ profile.

So then I used this profile and I just loved how the sound was so clear now. I could hear the details clearly, no more muddiness anywhere and overall the sound was just very pleasing, sure it can’t match my Hifimans on the details, but that’s expected. I listened to all kind of music now, just to test the Heavys with other genres and it was great!

Now with just the AutoEQ profile set, Heavys lose some of that excitement and fun and energy that the Heavys default tune has. So the AutoEQ profile isn’t enough for Heavy metal by default. We need to add some little tweaks to bring back that energy and fun, so it’s more pleasing to listen to Heavy metal with. So this is my current setup on wavelet.
The AutoEQ profile + Custom EQ + Bass Tuner:
Heavys-Wavelet-Overview.jpg
Heavys-Wavelet_AutoEQ.jpg
Heavys-Wavelet-PersonalPreset.jpg
Heavys-Wavelet-BassTuner.jpg

The personal EQ preset and the Bass tuner are both tuned by gut feeling again. Just small tweaks to make the sound more energetic and fun. And for me these absolutely work! With these Heavy metal sounds amazing. I can hear clear beautiful vocals, amazing electric guitars and great drum kicks. The drums just kick so nicely with amazing Sub bass but without any muddiness or bloat.

I’m sure my tune isn’t perfect by any means, but I have asked couple of my work colleagues (who are bigger metalheads than me) to test the Heavys out with different sound profiles and they all like my final profile with all the tweaks the best.

So my personal final thoughts on Heavys default sound profile is that it has few really good features. It’s fun, energetic and you can play it on insanely loud! But that comes with a cost and it loses a lot of clarity and bass is muddy and the instrument separation is not so good. Treble is lacking and vocals sound strange. It’s not bad, but it’s not anything amazing either.

If you just want to be able to play your heavy metal as loud as possible then the default tune is perfect for you! The louder you play the better it sounds! You can play it a lot louder than normal tunings.

Now when you apply some custom EQ like I have above. Then you start to hear all those details that were not there on the default profile. You can hear the beautiful vocals of Heavy metal singers, you can hear a lot of the small details we have in Heavy metal. (and in any other music genre) But you can’t play the music as loud as you can with the default profile. But for me this is more than OK. I always prefer quality over quantity. With this setup Heavys are the best headphones I have ever had for Heavy metal. The bass kick etc. it’s just so good. (one of the things my Hifiman never can beat because of the open back design etc.)

I’ll list here some of the favorite tracks I have used to test the Heavys (and my all other Headphones for that matter). I use mainly Apple Music (because of little bit better sound quality than what Spotify has) on my Android phone. I always use just Bluetooth with APTX Adaptive.

Non heavy tracks:
  • Sara K. – All Your Love
  • Chris Jones – No Sanctuary Here
  • Brother Dege – Too Old to Die Young
  • Bob Dylan – Man in the Long Black Coat

Heavy tracks:
  • Halestorm – Do Not Disturb
  • Five Finger Death Punch – Bad Company
  • Sonata Arctica – Letter to Dana
  • Black Sabbath – War Pigs
  • Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare

Attachments

• Heavys H1H.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
Nov 10, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #79 of 120
Thank you,gonna try these EQ setting when I have time. Have been using them wired to my m15s and they sound very good out of the box like that. Sound good on Bluetooth too but of course like my Sony10005x they lack some power in Bluetooth, but that's ok I mostly use them when traveling. But these seem to be fine to use wired at home. Have iems, moondrop kato for walking and they sound great. Wanna test hifiman Arya organic. You can get really crazy in this hobby when you started reading about all this stuff hehe. But thanks again for the profiles

Nov 10, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #80 of 120
Thank you,gonna try these EQ setting when I have time. Have been using them wired to my m15s and they sound very good out of the box like that. Sound good on Bluetooth too but of course like my Sony10005x they lack some power in Bluetooth, but that's ok I mostly use them when traveling. But these seem to be fine to use wired at home. Have iems, moondrop kato for walking and they sound great. Wanna test hifiman Arya organic. You can get really crazy in this hobby when you started reading about all this stuff hehe. But thanks again for the profiles
Oh yeah!

This is the kind of rabbit hole that once you are in, there is no going back :D. You will always find yourself wanting something more as you get more experienced. Sound is really personal thing and what someone else likes might be something that someone else hates :D

I don't think people who feel Heavys sound great as is are wrong, since it's so personal thing and what you are used to. For me personally I just have found completely new emotions from music when I have headphones with more audiophile like tuning. I know my Hifiman's and my setup to listen to those is very inexpensive and basic in the world of audiophile headphones, but for me those sound so amazing sometimes and gives me just emotions I have never felt with music before.

Heavys with above tuning gives me same kind of vibes sometimes, just to hear some of the instruments so clearly and to hear some vocals have the emotion in them and to hear and feel the drums to really kick, for me that's what music is all about.

Nov 10, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #81 of 120
Exactly how I felt the other day listening to Opeth with them on blast, was tapping my feet the whole time like crazy. Yes still wondering if I should go for the Arya or not, very expensive haha. Maybe just just say **** it and order, give them to myself for Christmas. Or tell me it's not so expensive compared to buying a motorcycle or snow sled like some of my friends, good to have some excuses like that for yourself.

Nov 10, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #82 of 120
Oh yeah!

This is the kind of rabbit hole that once you are in, there is no going back :D. You will always find yourself wanting something more as you get more experienced. Sound is really personal thing and what someone else likes might be something that someone else hates :D

I don't think people who feel Heavys sound great as is are wrong, since it's so personal thing and what you are used to. For me personally I just have found completely new emotions from music when I have headphones with more audiophile like tuning. I know my Hifiman's and my setup to listen to those is very inexpensive and basic in the world of audiophile headphones, but for me those sound so amazing sometimes and gives me just emotions I have never felt with music before.

Heavys with above tuning gives me same kind of vibes sometimes, just to hear some of the instruments so clearly and to hear some vocals have the emotion in them and to hear and feel the drums to really kick, for me that's what music is all about.
was just trying your eq settings, but can of course only use them in android mode on my player, but still, tried Again by Alice In Chains, there your profile sounded better, then tried some Yes and there both were good, and then The Pot by Tool and there the original sounded better, not sure really, changes between bands and music like always, but The Pot sound more clear but liveless with your EQ settings but more darker and more alive with the normal settings, now this is a new hellhole haha. gona try the eq thats in the fiio app and try to make it similar or just try something and find some good settings for myself. but thanks again, gona check all this out better when i have more time.

Nov 10, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #83 of 120
was just trying your eq settings, but can of course only use them in android mode on my player, but still, tried Again by Alice In Chains, there your profile sounded better, then tried some Yes and there both were good, and then The Pot by Tool and there the original sounded better, not sure really, changes between bands and music like always, but The Pot sound more clear but liveless with your EQ settings but more darker and more alive with the normal settings, now this is a new hellhole haha. gona try the eq thats in the fiio app and try to make it similar or just try something and find some good settings for myself. but thanks again, gona check all this out better when i have more time.
Good to hear, have to try those same songs :)

The difference between these two profiles is so huge in my opinion, that you really have to activate either one and listen to whole song with it and then switch to the other profile and listen to the same song again. Just flipping the AutoEQ on / off while music is playing makes both of the profiles sound weird. Makes the default profile sound too dark and muddy and makes my EQ settings sound too bright and dull. :D

I have to use the Legacy mode on my phone, since that's the only mode where all my music players work properly with wavelet.

Nov 10, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #84 of 120
Good to hear, have to try those same songs :)

The difference between these two profiles is so huge in my opinion, that you really have to activate either one and listen to whole song with it and then switch to the other profile and listen to the same song again. Just flipping the AutoEQ on / off while music is playing makes both of the profiles sound weird. Makes the default profile sound too dark and muddy and makes my EQ settings sound too bright and dull. :D

I have to use the Legacy mode on my phone, since that's the only mode where all my music players work properly with wavelet.
Yes the same here have to use legacy mode, but want to have the player in pure audio, more powerful and better sound but still not by much. Agree with the profiles,original is more dark and muddy and the other more bright, but still the muddier one seems to be more alive while the other is a little dry but also clearer and more open or something like that :)

Nov 10, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #85 of 120
The Pot by Tool and there the original sounded better, not sure really, changes between bands and music like always, but The Pot sound more clear but liveless with your EQ settings but more darker and more alive with the normal settings,
This is the beauty in differences on music taste. The Pot got immediately a place in my Heavy metal playlist 🤘, so thank you for the tip!

For me it's clear tha I like my profile more, for me there is just this constant bass booming on the background with the default profile. I can't stand that 🤣, so that's why I like my profile more since there is just the damn nice drum kick there and no booming.

Nov 10, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #86 of 120
Yeah the pot is a great song, yes and I agree with the profiles, but I'm gonna try some changes in the true audio mode on the player too and the profiles there. Have to find one main great setting, don't wanna change them always between songs or albums :)

Nov 12, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #87 of 120
OK. So here is a summary of my thoughts on Heavys after first waiting them for 580 days (from the day I backed on Kickstarter to the day I received the headphones). I received my Heavys on September 26th. I backed Heavys, because I usually found Heavy metal on headphones not to sound too good. I wanted to try something new, something that were made for the Heavy metal.

My first thoughts when I got my hands on with Heavys were that the build quality is very nice. Headphones are quite heavy on weight and feel really solid in hand. Nice good quality feeling in general. Buttons are OK, need some time to get used to those. I like the fact that I can use them with gloves on, physical buttons are always nice.

My initial impressions when listening to some music on them were “meh”, these are OK, but nothing spectacular. I had been spoiled already since I had bought my first “starter audiophile headphones” couple of months earlier and I just love the clarity and all the small details with my wired Hifiman HE-X4 planar magnetic Open Back headphones.

So I decided to listen to Heavys as they come for some time to see if I would like them or not. I didn’t listen to any other headphones for a about a week and I started to like the Heavys sound. It was energetic and it was nice.

But as soon as I listened to my Hifiman again, it came clear that the Heavys sound signature was just so much off, so I had to do something about it.

So around October 3rd My first solution was to just try to use Wavelet and create some equalizer correction to just lower the bass push the mids and treble up a bit. I just played with the EQ for a while and this is what I got:

With this profile, I already liked to Heavys a lot more! Heavys started to sound much better and vocals got cleaner and overall I just liked the sound more. So I used this profile for little over two weeks.

But as usual, you start to want more. I knew my profile was just quite random adjustment and there was no science or any measurements behind it. So it wasn’t the optimal solution. For this I wanted to try to find if there was Heavys Frequency response graph somewhere so maybe I could use that to improve the sound. And that’s when I stumbled upon this thread on ~ October 20th.

Now with the measurements done by Sword of Damocles I was able to use the amazing https://squig.link website and create an AutoEQ profile for Heavys.

With this I finally got an EQ profile that was not just based on my gut feelings, but based on actual measurements. You can find my Wavelet AutoEQ profile attached into this post, just save it on your phone and import to Wavelet as new AutoEQ profile.

So then I used this profile and I just loved how the sound was so clear now. I could hear the details clearly, no more muddiness anywhere and overall the sound was just very pleasing, sure it can’t match my Hifimans on the details, but that’s expected. I listened to all kind of music now, just to test the Heavys with other genres and it was great!

Now with just the AutoEQ profile set, Heavys lose some of that excitement and fun and energy that the Heavys default tune has. So the AutoEQ profile isn’t enough for Heavy metal by default. We need to add some little tweaks to bring back that energy and fun, so it’s more pleasing to listen to Heavy metal with. So this is my current setup on wavelet.
The AutoEQ profile + Custom EQ + Bass Tuner:

The personal EQ preset and the Bass tuner are both tuned by gut feeling again. Just small tweaks to make the sound more energetic and fun. And for me these absolutely work! With these Heavy metal sounds amazing. I can hear clear beautiful vocals, amazing electric guitars and great drum kicks. The drums just kick so nicely with amazing Sub bass but without any muddiness or bloat.

I’m sure my tune isn’t perfect by any means, but I have asked couple of my work colleagues (who are bigger metalheads than me) to test the Heavys out with different sound profiles and they all like my final profile with all the tweaks the best.

So my personal final thoughts on Heavys default sound profile is that it has few really good features. It’s fun, energetic and you can play it on insanely loud! But that comes with a cost and it loses a lot of clarity and bass is muddy and the instrument separation is not so good. Treble is lacking and vocals sound strange. It’s not bad, but it’s not anything amazing either.

If you just want to be able to play your heavy metal as loud as possible then the default tune is perfect for you! The louder you play the better it sounds! You can play it a lot louder than normal tunings.

Now when you apply some custom EQ like I have above. Then you start to hear all those details that were not there on the default profile. You can hear the beautiful vocals of Heavy metal singers, you can hear a lot of the small details we have in Heavy metal. (and in any other music genre) But you can’t play the music as loud as you can with the default profile. But for me this is more than OK. I always prefer quality over quantity. With this setup Heavys are the best headphones I have ever had for Heavy metal. The bass kick etc. it’s just so good. (one of the things my Hifiman never can beat because of the open back design etc.)

I’ll list here some of the favorite tracks I have used to test the Heavys (and my all other Headphones for that matter). I use mainly Apple Music (because of little bit better sound quality than what Spotify has) on my Android phone. I always use just Bluetooth with APTX Adaptive.

Non heavy tracks:
  • Sara K. – All Your Love
  • Chris Jones – No Sanctuary Here
  • Brother Dege – Too Old to Die Young
  • Bob Dylan – Man in the Long Black Coat

Heavy tracks:
  • Halestorm – Do Not Disturb
  • Five Finger Death Punch – Bad Company
  • Sonata Arctica – Letter to Dana
  • Black Sabbath – War Pigs
  • Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare

Good afternoon.

First of all, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience, tests and, above all, the EQ settings.

I have tried your settings and they sound great, for me much better than the standard ones. Without being an audio expert, the stock sound seems to me very muddy without clarity.

I loaded your Autoeq file for Wavelet, but I noticed that the graph doesn't look exactly the same as the images you also share, does this file correspond to the graph or is it not the same?

Here is how it appears on my phone when I load the file.

Screenshot.jpg

Thanks again for your time.

Edit: Solved, I just found the reason why it didn't look the same as yours. Inside AutoEq I had set the "AutoEq Power" value to 49% instead of 100%. My fault.

Screenshot.2jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #88 of 120
Edit: Solved, I just found the reason why it didn't look the same as yours. Inside AutoEq I had set the "AutoEq Power" value to 49% instead of 100%. My fault.

Hey, nice to hear you find the profile I had sounding good :) The more I dig into this rabbit hole of EQ the more I learn how subjective "good sound is" and it's OK that different people find different sound profiles pleasing.

Yeah, that AutoEQ Power function also seems quite interesting and with that you can really adjust how much of the added AutoEQ you want, which sometimes might be beter than going full 100%

I also just learned how you can export other peoples target curves in the squig.link into a file and then import that back and then you can create a EQ profile that instead of trying to get the sound close to Harman 2018 curve (as in the case of my original AutoEQ profile) you can try to match the target curve of someone else.

Here's couple AutoEQ profiles more to test. One from targeting a curve of reviewer called "Bad Guy Good Audio" and another profile that I have adjusted based on LMG (Linus Media Group) 0.6 curve. Bad Guy profile is a bit too dark for me, but I bet some people will love it :D

I'm currently listening my MEQ 0.1 profile without any additional EQ. But the personal Graphic Equalizer is a good way to fine tune if needed.

If you are interested in tuning the sound for your liking these kind of different target curves are a good starting point and then you just do your own tweaks to make them sound good for you.

Attachments

• Heavys H1H MEQ-0.1.txt
  • Heavys H1H Bad Guy.txt
Nov 15, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #89 of 120
We have news from Heavys (November 15, 2023)

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ones-engineered-for-heavy-metal/posts/3963920

Mobile app coming your way!

After going through thousands of comments and feedback we accumulated a list of things we want to improve and upgrade. The app will allow you to download firmware updates for bug fixes, and further down the road we’ll have upgrades and some shockingly cool features we cannot share yet (stealth mode required).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back