lessons learned, hd280 and koss ur40
Jan 24, 2005 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

eight08

100+ Head-Fier
first post... yay!

my search for a replacement for my v6 led me here months ago. i've used the v6 for years and finally wanted something more musical and more comfortable. and after much debate and research on this forum, i decided to go with the senn. hd280 pro (after all my research, they seemed like the best solution). highly dissapointed with MY decision. comfortable, they were not - they are heavy and feel kind of like those ear muffs you use for loud machinery work - to me. sound-wise, while definitely a step in the right direction - not at all what i really wanted (not that i really knew what i wanted before). they still had up-front and foward sound... not at all what i sterotyped senns to be.

(note: my sources may be a bit to blame for my dissapointment of both the v6 and hd280. ipod mini, crappy sound cards, pioneer d514 reciever)

So anyway, 3 impulse buys later (shure e2c, radioshack titanium open cans (koss ur40 clone) and koss pro 3aa - and im still looking for the right set for my ghetto ears (to be honest, i'd rather listen to my cheapest cans out of all of my mini-collection (ur40 - modded)< absolutely perfect for watching dvds).

So - i think the whole point of this rant was this - the key to finding my next (
rolleyes.gif
my goodness, im already thinking about another purchase) set of headphones is...

actually, i have no idea on deeper thought.. maybe just a clearer idea of what i want. oh, and also - it seems like i have a taste for "cheaper" sound.

Jan 24, 2005 at 7:26 AM Post #2 of 7
maybe you just haven't experienced some 'good' sound yet

For under $100, the v6 is prolly the best closed can there is. the 280 pro require a lot of burning in to sound decent and an amp to sound good. I have v6 and while im satisfied with the sound, open cans are WAY better. If your on a budget, sennheiser 497 and grado sr60/80 will be your best bet.

Jan 24, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #3 of 7
IMHO you need to get out and demo as many cans as possible. No one on this forum can accurately tell you what your ears & auditory system will perceive as being "good".

Garrett

Jan 24, 2005 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
IMHO you need to get out and demo as many cans as possible. No one on this forum can accurately tell you what your ears & auditory system will perceive as being "good".

Garrett

while that is true, most stores only carry crappy cans, thats why he's having hard time finding a pair that he likes

Jan 24, 2005 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
maybe you just haven't experienced some 'good' sound yet

For under $100, the v6 is prolly the best closed can there is. the 280 pro require a lot of burning in to sound decent and an amp to sound good. I have v6 and while im satisfied with the sound, open cans are WAY better. If your on a budget, sennheiser 497 and grado sr60/80 will be your best bet.

That's the thing though... if the v6 and 280 pro are representative of "good" or even semi-good cans, then Im thinking that my auditory tastes are more suited towards what many might consider "low end." (closed cans). I just find both of those to be way to bright and with a very shallow soundstage.

I guess what I'm really looking for is a closed can that is very comfortable (#1) and detailed but not bright (#2) -- (beyer dt250-80 on paper seems to fit those well). Both of the Koss phones I recently purchased are doing a fine job in the meantime.

Jan 24, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1967cutlass
hd-280's BLOW without a good amp and source IMO. you should try some sr-60's.

yeah, i am really interested in some grados, but from what i keep reading, they seem more treble based (if that makes any sense). or rather, their strength isnt in "warmth", but rather in impact. i "think" im more suited towards a warm sounding can. (plus they're open, which im not currently in the market for)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back