Lessloss Blackbody is out
Jan 14, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #91 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you put it like that it sounds so harsh.
tongue.gif
Audiophile cables, hmph!

Some cables are a complete joke and others do actually make a difference. I've swapped headphone cables back and forth back and forth dozens of times in a row and there are obvious, blatant differences that you'd have to be deaf to ignore.

I have a neighbor that just spent $9,000 on a Tara Labs AES/EBU digital cable and I think that is just nuts. Digital cables need to conform to spec. Anything outside the spec is less than optimum, and whether people prefer it or not does not mean it is transmitting a more pure signal.

What? No. Digital cables transmit 1s and 0s. Do you know how digital media/any digital feed works? So long as it is not losing those 1s and 0s, it is not changing the sound. Any half-ass made AES/EBU cable from the sweatiest shop in China will do it just as well as the one he just wasted an enormous amount of $ is. Spec for digital cables is not something difficult to achieve, whatsoever. Any cable you can buy in your local Best Buy will be more than fine.

The only time this is not true is when speaking of extremely long distance cables.

And about the obvious blatant differences... Nothing you say about cable differences matter until YOU have DBT'd properly, which you cannot do. You'd be utterly amazed at what the brain can do in response to placebo, including creating real, physical ailments, rashes, and other things. They may be very real to you when you're looking at the cables. That said, this is a no-DBT zone, so I'll refrain from further discussion on this matter.

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #92 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What? No. Digital cables transmit 1s and 0s. Do you know how digital media/any digital feed works? So long as it is not losing those 1s and 0s, it is not changing the sound. Any half-ass made AES/EBU cable from the sweatiest shop in China will do it just as well as the one he just wasted an enormous amount of $ is. Spec for digital cables is not something difficult to achieve, whatsoever. Any cable you can buy in your local Best Buy will be more than fine.

The only time this is not true is when speaking of extremely long distance cables.

And about the obvious blatant differences... Nothing you say about cable differences matter until YOU have DBT'd properly, which you cannot do. You'd be utterly amazed at what the brain can do in response to placebo, including creating real, physical ailments, rashes, and other things. They may be very real to you when you're looking at the cables. That said, this is a no-DBT zone, so I'll refrain from further discussion on this matter.

the 1's and 0's might be all that it is carrying, but those 1's and 0's are transmitted via a squarewave, and if the edges get srewed up, or moved, you get jitter...though we still dont know if jitter is even audible...

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #93 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 1's and 0's might be all that it is carrying, but those 1's and 0's are transmitted via a squarewave, and if the edges get srewed up, or moved, you get jitter...though we still dont know if jitter is even audible...

Okay, but spec cables would do nothing to cause jitter, if it's even audible.

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #94 of 108
Another "digital is ones and zeroes" guy. This will take awhile.

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #95 of 108
Quote:

Okay, but spec cables would do nothing to cause jitter, if it's even audible.

oh i know, i was just saying that its not really just 1's and 0's, its still a wave that could "potentially" get screwed up somehow. Im a fence sitter on the cable issue, ive never had the chance to actually compare high end cables to regular cables, but i will hold judgement till i can.

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #96 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another "digital is ones and zeroes" guy. This will take awhile.

It will take no time, don't worry. I believe in facts, not opinions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #97 of 108
Quote:

You're saying the same thing he was. He said that it doesn't make sense to pay more for a digital cable because as long as it meets spec it's good to go.

Also the whole thing about digital cables making a difference doesn't make sense. If they weren't robust then digital systems wouldn't be able to function. Computers run signals through digital cables billions+ of times per second - if there were frequent errors computers would be crashing constantly. You can send a file from your hard drive over the internet that gets sent through a router, then a few servers (at least) back to a router, over the air with wireless picked up by someone's computer and written to their hard drive. You can then diff the two files and guess what, they're identical. If digital is robust enough for that it's robust enough to send through a 2ft cable.

Jan 16, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #98 of 108
Correct, xxbaker. That is what I am saying. The blatant differences were with headphone cables, not digital cables. However, I have heard digital cables make small differences and some of them probably didn't conform to spec. Some were elite, $1000 nonsense, and some were much cheaper. If there is an impedance mismatch in your gear, try a longer length cable. I don't know if there is in mine, but I've tried various lengths and feel that an 18 ft. BNC is ideal, and it only cost $24 from BJC.

Jan 16, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #99 of 108
I've been running around asking people if they know the theory behind this with no luck. Not even some star trek fans I asked ventured a guess. Anyone have any idea how this is "supposed" to work?

Jan 17, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #100 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been running around asking people if they know the theory behind this with no luck. Not even some star trek fans I asked ventured a guess. Anyone have any idea how this is "supposed" to work?

The problem with the "theory" behind is is that they take a couple of grains of truth and then twist and conflate them such that the idea as to how it's "supposed" to work is ultimately just gibberish.

After dinner I'll try and 'splain it.

se

Jan 17, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #103 of 108
Crikey, when i see sh...stuff like that being sold, I start becoming quite cynical about a lot of audio-related products. I've noticed, to my astonishment, that no reviews of this breath-taking technology have emerged. I am expecting a front-page feature in New Scientist.

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #104 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
popcorn.gif

You can put the popcorn away.

As I was going back over the marketing page, I decided it simply wasn't worth the time and effort. If I'm going to spend my time picking through a pile of ********, it's going to be while looking for some 'shrooms.
atsmile.gif

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back