Less bass on my macbook pro than a pad?
Aug 12, 2014 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pb8185

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm an audio newbie. The earphones in question are the GR07, which I recently acquired. I usually listen to music on my macbook pro retina 13" when I'm at home, or on my nexus 7 when I'm on the go. I've recently noticed that listening on my mac the bass seems weaker. I listened more deeply, and it seems in certain tracks, like Macklemore's Thrift Shop, the bass seems to be lower in pitch on the macbook, which makes it more suppressed on my GR07, like a low rumble, I think this is sub bass? But the bass does seem to recreate the instrument sound more faithfully, maybe? Is this a difference in DAC quality between the two devices? What am I hearing? Or am I just hearing things...

Thanks,
Peter

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #2 of 6
  Hi everyone,

I'm an audio newbie. The earphones in question are the GR07, which I recently acquired. I usually listen to music on my macbook pro retina 13" when I'm at home, or on my nexus 7 when I'm on the go. I've recently noticed that listening on my mac the bass seems weaker. I listened more deeply, and it seems in certain tracks, like Macklemore's Thrift Shop, the bass seems to be lower in pitch on the macbook, which makes it more suppressed on my GR07, like a low rumble, I think this is sub bass? But the bass does seem to recreate the instrument sound more faithfully, maybe? Is this a difference in DAC quality between the two devices? What am I hearing? Or am I just hearing things...

Thanks,
Peter

I won't pretend to know anything about the Nexus 7, but I'd imagine it's automatically EQ'd to create a more consumer oriented sound.

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks, that sounds like a very likely explanation. Although I still feel like I'm hearing a change in pitch and not just gain in amplitude. Could it be distortion?

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks, that sounds like a very likely explanation. Although I still feel like I'm hearing a change in pitch and not just gain in amplitude. Could it be distortion?

I'm not really sure (It's certainly easier to help when I can hear it :/), but distortion could be the answer. I know a guy who owns one (Nexus 7), and he says that his headphones are slightly better powered by it. Maybe it has a small built in amp?

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #5 of 6
Well, on the mac I usually listen at 30%, and 70% on the nexus, but I'm not knocking the nexus 7. I refuse to connect my earphone to my phone now because quality is that much better out of the nexus.

The more I listen to myself the more truth I feel to your original statement of automatic EQ. I do think mac gives better clarity but more true to the music sound.

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 6
Well, on the mac I usually listen at 30%, and 70% on the nexus, but I'm not knocking the nexus 7. I refuse to connect my earphone to my phone now because quality is that much better out of the nexus.

The more I listen to myself the more truth I feel to your original statement of automatic EQ. I do think mac gives better clarity but more true to the music sound.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back