Less album artwork on my new Macbook Pro
Feb 3, 2009 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

El Bishop

New Head-Fier
Just got a macbook pro and added my iTunes library from my external HD -- had previously been using iTunes on my Dell laptop. But on the mac, lots of the album artwork that had been on the Dell is no longer there. I selected "get album artwork" but it came back with nothing for virtually everything in the library. An ideas?

Thanks

Feb 9, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 8
the album artwork is stored in a folder called album artwork, its usually located at my documents - my music - iTunes - album artwork. copy the folder to your external hard drive and paste it into the location. im not sure if it works on mac tho.

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 8
I had a similar issue just yesterday. I ripped a bunch of songs on one computer and then copied the files to the other computer over the network, but the album artwork didn't copy. But I was under the impression that any time I add songs that iTunes is automatically supposed to download album art. Unless that applies only to songs imported via ripping.

Feb 9, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 8
I don't know what mechanism iTunes uses to acquire the album artwork. I am going through a process of ripping a bunch of older CDs from the back of my closet. Anyway, most have artwork available from the iTunes store but some don't have album art associated.

Ah ha. I just ripped Tricycle by Flim and the BBs. There was no album art associated with this album via iTunes. It turns out that the album isn't available via the iTunes store - so maybe this is the reason.

Are you guys missing artwork on older/more obscure albums?

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 8
iTunes only pull artwork from iTunes Store if it find a matching album/album title. Hence tagging need to be done properly and the album of course need to be available in iTunes Store.

Please note that it don't embed artwork pulled from iTunes Store. It store them in the profile directory and link it all up.

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 8
Yep looks like a tagging issue.
Not sure about iTunes but for Foobar I keep two jpegs in the folders. One is called 'folder.jpg' and the other '<Fill in album title>.jpg'.

Feb 10, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #7 of 8
Look for a program called GimmeSomeTunes. It can find album artwork for you, and lyrics too!

I didn't know that iTunes didn't embed the artwork. Any way to force it to do so? I have added artwork on my own for albums not in the iTunes store that appears to be embedded in my alac files. I would rather have all the artwork be embedded in my files so if I move or copy those files around all the info goes with it.

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #8 of 8
Id does embed when you add it manually to the songs themselves. Takes some time depending on the size of your library, but then you'll never have to do it again. images.google is your friend (you'll think otherwise long before you're finished
tongue.gif
)

you could also try to export the library from the dell, and open it with the macbook. Don't know if windows and osx iTunes use the same format though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back