Leonard Cohen - A Pleasant Discovery
Apr 29, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #46 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're right Juli, I will, even though 2 tickets will set me back app. €300,- but what is money compared to music? :wink:
Just waiting now for my friend to call me back, it is on her birthday and she's a big LC-fan, so this could be her best BD-present ever!

Wow. She's a lucky lucky girl, she'll love that present! The tickets are very expensive, but the money will soon be forgotten, while the memory of the concert will live on forever
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #47 of 61
Women!
She goes to Kopenhagen then, already booked. So I asked another friend, she would love to come but goes to San Francisco then.
Contacted a thirth, Milan.
Am I the only one in Holland on 4-7?! Ordered two tickets anyway, I'll find someone.

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #48 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Women!
She goes to Kopenhagen then, already booked. So I asked another friend, she would love to come but goes to San Francisco then.
Contacted a thirth, Milan.
Am I the only one in Holland on 4-7?! Ordered two tickets anyway, I'll find someone.

If you can't find anyone free on that date, I'll come with you
icon10.gif

I'd LOVE to see him again.

Apr 30, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #49 of 61
Okay, that would be fun, I could show you around Amsterdam later. I'll keep it in mind.

May 1, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #51 of 61
Thanks you very much SleepyOne, I tried them all, never seen one of them before.
Started with Tori; incredible how she plays with this haunting melody, saw it out breathlessly, though interrupted by frequent thoughts how it would probably for the best for everyone if she would be hospitalized for personal reasons every now and again, but still, great!
Then watched that beautiful lady on the thirth pole. A little bit bland, but not bad at all; and I just saw that song on LC's live-DVD (did a wonderful job in keeping my wellmeaning but slightly irritating brother who visits twice a year silent and gave us both an excellent evening).
Then the LC-clip..my preference remains the last live-album, but I guess I'll buy the rest of the live-stuff too, thanks again.

May 2, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #52 of 61
Hi dura, very glad you enjoy it! Initially I find the LC clip a bit strange but then it sort of click and I am hooked! So moving, so personal. My first contact with Famous Blue Raincoat was via Joan Baez & Jennifer Warnes. As for Tori, found her very interesting as she changes everytime she plays depending on mode (I think). I saw her live (very close to stage) once, she seems very creative and her classical root came through her piano. As for Over the Rhine's cover (Karin, the pretty lady), I thought what's all the fuss with the X-factor winner who sung Hallelujah (i.e. blame Simon Cowell)....there are people out there who could do better.

May 3, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #53 of 61
Talkking about nice LC-covers: like Jennifer Warnes a lady called Anjani has made a album with LC, called Blue Alert.
An intimate album, most songs are just her sensitive voice and a piano, there some gems on the album.
Madeleine Peyroux did some excellent LC-covers on het 2th and 3th album, Careless love and Half the perfect world. (Especially the latter album is one of my personal top-fave albums, pity her latest album, Bare Bones is less interesting to my ears).
K.D. Lang's album songs of the 49th parallel, with covers from songs written by Canadians is worth having too, with Halleluah and Bird on the Wire.

May 17, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #55 of 61
OK, so guess who caught Lenny Cohen last night? It was a great show; he's singing really well and I was amazed by his energy (runs onstage and skips off like a schoolkid…at 75-years old!…also dances and repeatedly drops to his knees.) But I cannot tell a lie: I wish he would lose the sax/reeds guy. That cat puts an odd David Sanborn/Kenny G adult-contemporary sheen on the arrangements. On the other hand, the Spanish guitarist (plays mandolin, dobro and tres) was just-plain brilliant.

May 17, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #56 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, so guess who caught Lenny Cohen last night? It was a great show; he's singing really well and I was amazed by his energy (runs onstage and skips off like a schoolkid…at 75-years old!…also dances and repeatedly drops to his knees.) But I cannot tell a lie: I wish he would lose the sax/reeds guy. That cat puts an odd David Sanborn/Kenny G adult-contemporary sheen on the arrangements. On the other hand, the Spanish guitarist (plays mandolin, dobro and tres) was just-plain brilliant.

Hey, really glad you enjoyed it. Isn't he amazing for his age? If the Spanish guitarist was still Javier Mas, then yeah, he was brilliant, and that intro to 'Who By Fire' was spine tingling!
smile_phones.gif

Did the Webb Sisters do their gymnastics?

May 17, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #57 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did the Webb Sisters do their gymnastics?

Yup...

Just realized after looking at the DVD track listing above that I left just before the "Sisters Of Mercy" encore. Oh, well…

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #58 of 61
Love all Lenny Cohen albums (as there are not many anyway).

LC becomes very philosophical years gone by. Live in London CD/DVD give me very very different impression cf. his ealier years.

I don't believe he is on any antidepressant any more
jecklinsmile.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #59 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he's as good a lyricist (better in some ways) than Dylan.

I completely agree, though the opinion doesn't get a lot of love in the US of A.

Jun 25, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #60 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I completely agree, though the opinion doesn't get a lot of love in the US of A.

Well, I once met a woman who knew Cohen before he was singing professionally, when he was kinda bumming around Greece or something, and she swore that he would have been an even better novelist than he is a songwriter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back