Leona Naess
Feb 29, 2004 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sbulack

Headphoneus Supremus
There was a passing reference to Leona on a thread as someone who had been ID'd from a Television appearance. I've since obtained her three albums: "Comatised", I Tried To Rock You, But You Only Roll", and "Leona Naess", with "Alley Sessions" on the way. I've been putting in a lot of listening time on Leona's albums because of her voice AND her songwriting, which is involving and intelligent. The style is somewhere between folk and rock and the feel varies between contemplative and energetic. I can listen to any of the three albums I have all the way through - not a skipper in the bunch, IMO. She is a good observer of people and expresses it well in her songs (both the words and music). I like the sensitivity she exhibits, in which I detect no self-pity or refusal to get over or get on with things. Highly recommended by me, FWIW.

Mar 1, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 5
leonanaess_3.jpg
I didn't really know who she was until seeing her close out the Letterman show with the Ballerina song, and she was completely mesmerizing and totally adorable. I was just switching through the channels and fortuned upon her while she was still early in the song. Just a guy backing her on piano. What a cool voice. It's got some of the qualities of the big name crooners now like Snorah Jones and Sarah MacLachlan, but she's so playful with it. Very refreshing. Immediately reminded me a little of Karin Bergquist from Over The Rhine - same type of gorgeous voice. But Leona, at least in this performance, has a voice that is vulnerable, yet powerful and sensual at the same time. Really nice and organic. Kind of like Tori Amos without the irritating parts. Edie Brickell is the comparison that AMG latches on to and it's a good one. I picked up the third, self-titled album at Best Buy for under $10 after seeing her on Letterman and can't say I'm totally satisfied. I love that Ballerina song that she did on the show and a couple of the others, but most of it isn't nearly as distinctive as I was hoping for, even after a few listens. The slow melancholy ones are what I like best. Some of the more upbeat ones are just too radio friendly and don't leave much of an impression. Anyway, nice album, just not up to my high expectations for her after what I saw live.

Mar 1, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 5
Davey,
Leona's first album, "Comatised", has more of the qualities you describe as liking than her third album, the self-titled one. It can be had for about $4 on half.com if you'd care to check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back