​
December 22nd, 2014​

​
 ​
 ​
 4695​

By Christopher Scapelliti

“Lennon or McCartney?”

In the world of Beatle-dom, there is perhaps no question quite as vexing or as apt to start a discussion or fight.

But it’s the question filmmaker Matt Schichter put to some 550 artists over the past 10 years. In his new documentary, Lennon or McCartney, he serves up the answers of musicians like Robbie Robertson, Bo Diddley, Ozzy Osbourne, Geezer Butler, Metallica, the Sex Pistols and Pete Townshend. He even includes a host of actors, including Robert DeNiro, Kevin Spacey and Zach Galifianakis.

Watch them answer for yourself. Then let us know your choice…and why.

- See more at: http://www.guitaraficionado.com/lennon-or-mccartney-new-documentary-asks-townshend-and-others.html#sthash.Ut5wFv9G.dpuf​

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #3 of 22
Tough choice and very close. Between the two I would give the thumbs up to Lennon.

Yeah, after watching the "documentary" that I found and posted above, I certainly understand their different strengths and complimentary talents. I also recognize that George was vastly underrated, and was coming more to the forefront as the band's history together progressed. Paul clearly has the gift of melody. Paul has had a much longer post-Beatles career. Having said that, If I had to choose, and if I followed the filmmaker's rules and made a judgement (...a judgement which one can obviously refuse to make.) I would give my humble vote to John.

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 22
Rolls Royce or Ferrari ?

John and Paul completely different animals, John more of a hero, Paul a better musician

Jan 11, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 22
Harrison. 
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 22

I agree, Harrison was underrated. He composed "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", what a beautiful composition. Then his solo album "All Things Must Pass".

beerchug.gif

Of all the post-Beatles LPs, by the fab four, "All Things Must Pass" is my favourite. I'm a huge Beatles fan and agree that George was very underrated! I have the remastered stereo box set, remastered mono box set, remastered US box set, entire post Beatles catalog of all three (Lennon, McCartney and Harrison). Heck, I even have 3 or 4 Ringo albums too. 
tongue.gif

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 22

I agree, Harrison was underrated. He composed "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", what a beautiful composition. Then his solo album "All Things Must Pass".

beerchug.gif

Of all the post-Beatles LPs, by the fab four, "All Things Must Pass" is my favourite. I'm a huge Beatles fan and agree that George was very underrated! I have the remastered stereo box set, remastered mono box set, remastered US box set, entire post Beatles catalog of all three (Lennon, McCartney and Harrison). Heck, I even have 3 or 4 Ringo albums too. 
tongue.gif

A lot of people forget that "Here Comes The Sun" was a Harrison composition. I love Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" as well. However, my favorite post-Beatles album would have to be "Imagine." "Plastic Ono Band" would be a close second, then "All Things Must Pass." I guess that "Ram," or "Band On The Run" would come after that...

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 22
To me post Beatles, McCartney was still McCartney, Lennon was still Lennon (Mind Games is a very powerful song in its expression of anti-war and love) then out of nowhere and unexpected Harrison came out with All Things Must Pass album, perhaps I was too young then, my older brother bought the album and I just heard the songs, My Sweet Lord, Apple Scruffs, All Things Must Pass, they just stuck in my mind.

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #10 of 22

beerchug.gif

tongue.gif

I am a big Beatles fan also, and I agree 100% ...Harrison way underated.....I can do without Ringo , though 
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 13, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #13 of 22

He loved the seabed and his friends always gave him a helping hand.
tongue_smile.gif

I keed, I keed...I'm a big Ringo fan...great personality and great drummer for the Beatles. He wouldn't do very well with Rush though. 
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #15 of 22
Between John and Paul, I'm going to totally agree with AWOLNATION's lead singer. Lennon was a great person, and I truly admire his activism, but McCartney was a superior musician in my opinion. Like Eddie Reyes said, Paul kept going, while John couldn't compare after The Beatles. But together, there's no equal. And in all seriousness, Ringo is vastly underrated. I wish he had sung more, and his drumming wasn't bad at all. It was perfect for the type of music they played; crazy drum solos, fast drumming, etc, wouldn't work at all for what they played.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back