Length of USB cable matter?
Oct 22, 2007 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Bjornboy81

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Does the length of the USB cable matter when it comes to SQ and noise? I want to put my DAC on the other side of the room from my computer (next to my big comfy chair) and I figured it'd be better to run the digital signal farther and keep the analog signal shorter. Am I correct in my thinking? Should I make sure it had ferrite cores on either end? It's probably be about 12ft long or so.

Thanks,
paul

EDIT: also this is in regards to a Silverstone EB01 DAC which is powered by the USB cable. Do you forsee an problems there?

Oct 22, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks...that's what I thought. Any insight to the 'powering the DAC' issue?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 12
nice ****
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 12
haha...anyways, thanks for the replies guys!

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will work fine, but IMHO it is always better if you can source power from somewhere other than your computer.

I totally agree. however that's how this DAC is designed...to run off the USB power.
smily_headphones1.gif

maybe I'll dive into the PCB and add in my own wall powered PS instead of the USB boosted supply that's on the board....

Oct 24, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #11 of 12
Hope this is more help then it sounds, as i can't describe why without butching it up and I don't recall where I read the article. But there is an optimum length, 1.5m possibly.

It has to do with the speed the data travels and the amount of time it takes to reach the dac/amp, basically. And at that given length, the data reaches exactly "in synch" with the clock time.

But I'm also sure that's probably getting into the those minute tweaks, but since you're talking a long run anyhow, may not be a bad idea to dig into it. Wish I could remeber if I saw it here, Headroom or .......

Hope that helps.

Oct 24, 2007 at 10:29 AM Post #12 of 12
I think I know what you're saying Charley, but external DAC's have a seperate clock than the computer, and sync to the data coming in, so even if it is delayed slightly, it shouldn't matter, so long as the frequency of the data transfer isn't affected.

Being that I'm looking at about 12' or so, I don't think this would be an issue anyways.

thanks though
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back