Length of 3 Pin XLR Cables when stacking equipment
Aug 10, 2017 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lcasadonte

100+ Head-Fier
I want to use 3 pin xlr's to connect my auralic taurus to an auralic altair. I am curious should I get a 6in or 12in cable(s) to connect them? I don't have either unit yet and wanted to pre purchase the cables. Both units will be stacked on a desktop and I don't want too much excess wire around if not necessary. Any help with similar equipment (think certain schitt stacks) would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #2 of 6
If those are balanced analog audio XLR interconnects, don't worry about a little extra length. 300 foot XLR cables are often used in making concert hall classical music recordings.

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 6
I didn't want to have too much excess cable lying around.

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #4 of 6
The theoretical limit of balanced XLR interconnects is about 7 miles, not sure if you could achieve that in practice though. Anyway, it makes the choice between 6" and 12" completely irrelevant, as speedskater stated, just make or buy whatever length you require.

G

Aug 12, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 6
That's more like what I was wondering. Not a sound quality question. What's the minimum length I need to connect 2 components. I didn't know how th cable was measured, with or without the connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back