Lemur Voice; am I missing something?
Feb 28, 2002 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

delenda est Sony

500+ Head-Fier
As I have run out of Dream Theater albums to buy, I have started samplng other prog metal outfits with generally interesting results---Shadow Gallery, Symphony X, but I admit Lemur Voice baffles me!

After reading near-orgasmic reviews on Amazon and the somewhat more level-headed All Music Guide, I picked these guys first album "Insights" up expecting to be wowed, and I am underimpressed. The arrangements seem sort of typical, the musicianship competent though not brilliant, and the lyrics----oh. the lyrics!

It's as if someone with a pretty mediocre grasp of English tried to write a self-help book set to music---

"the question of validity is rhetorical in presence of Nature's purity, a child's honesty, strength through vulnerability"

"throughout all divisions of concepts that build fake images of paths to your ideals, you'll find mere disappointment. It's not the manner, it's the form of the starting point that keeps the flower from its beauty"

"it's time to take a dive in the black hole, illumination by itself is the key to the lock on your life. The process is one big fractal of emotional nightmares evolving in a dream of self-consciousness"

and more abstrusely:

"I see the clown with the wooden smile leave me. I see computer games shed in green."
confused.gif

(all lyrics copyrighted Nathan Van De Wouw & Lemur Voice)

So on the surface these guys seem far more pretentious than DT, more incoherent than a subway announcement, and just one big fractal of...something! I rather prefer Symphony X's Atlantean babbling or Shadow Gallery's plight of the defense worker's whining to this Tony Robbins style of lyricism...

Any defenders? Can someone point out the virtues that I am not seeing here?
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 2
Hey, it rhymes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back