Leitmotif - by Dredg
Feb 21, 2002 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

coolvij

Board geriatric
I recently acquired this excellent release by a fairly unknown band named Dredg.

The album, Leitmotif, is composed of five short movements and five short songs (this isn't progressive music that stretches on for hours - but it has a progressive feel to it).

The sound, while heavy, does not give one the after effects of listening to metal or other heavy music.....unusual, indeed.

The drummer is inventive, and the guitarist has a very unique style.

However, I feel the standout on this unusual rock album which, I feel, could appeal to most anyone, is the bass player. He brings a happy, light feel to the music without interfering with the infectious guitar work.....bass parts flow well - like in a jazzy sort of way - yet fit in with this style of rock very well.

The only letdown is the vocals in the mix - the man, while a decent singer, is hard to understand except at a few parts in the song.......tho, the lyrics aren't very important.

The music conveys the theme of the album, which is a bit unusual (it's a story about a man with a "moral" disease who has to traverse the globe to cure himself) well enough.

If anyone has this album, or would like me to review it properly, just let me know.

Feb 21, 2002 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
If anyone has this album...just let me know.

Yeah...uh...I have it. I like the homemade packaging, it gives it sort of a more-indie-than-Fugazi feel to it.

Feb 21, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #3 of 6
(Duplicate post -- moderator, feel free to "...get rid of this god-damned chalk...")

Feb 22, 2002 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 6
Dusty - do ya like it?
confused.gif

Feb 23, 2002 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
Dusty - do ya like it?

I remember being surprised by two things, how much I liked it, and how different it was from what I expected. I'll have to play it again to remember what it actually sounded like. No, I am not on drugs, I've just been having severe concentration and memory retention problems lately...mmmm...cookies...

Feb 23, 2002 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 6
I felt the same way - but with only 70 CDs, all my CDs get some serious listening......no memory retention problems here
smily_headphones1.gif

Mmm.....cookies......

What was I saying?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back