Leica D-Lux 5 & Lumix DMC-LX5 (TAVES Toronto Audio show - Nov.01, 2013 - Photos)
Aug 21, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #91 of 174
Last trip to Vegas this week:

Sep 3, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #92 of 174
redacted

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #93 of 174
Win any cash in Vegas?
Is your wife's sister married too?,glad you didn't put your photostamp on beautiful wifey's picture!

My last crazy festival of the summer,Brampton Wingfest,which was briefly rained out by a typical severe Ontario Thunderstorm...
Click on the pic for the big res size.

Chingaucousy Park,there was a Carnival near the entrance.I like the farm in the city core.

Only two Vendors there for Wings;Oscars and Spot On Catering.Two others cancelled,probably after getting the severe thunderstorm reports.

Oscars in the photo.I ordered one pound from Spot On and the 10 large wings were crunchy and delicious with a sauce on the side.

Arrived at 3:10pm,severe rain/wind for 25 minutes and the park pretty much emptied out.Waited the storm out in the car.Even the Clowns sat it out under the tent...

Woop,lots of room at the tables and no lineups for anything!Excellent boiled farm fresh cob of corn with butter on the way out.

Sep 4, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #94 of 174

Quote:
Win any cash in Vegas?
Is your wife's sister married too?,glad you didn't put your photostamp on beautiful wifey's picture!

My wife won $50 after everything was said and done. She has good luck.

My wife's sister is single and is 16 years old.

Sep 5, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #96 of 174
LOL!
biggrin.gif
LOL!

That did make me laugh!

Don't feel bad...she does look older and you're definitely not the only one....

Sep 17, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #97 of 174
So had the chance to borrow a D-Lux5 for a couple of weeks after I bought the Leica X1 to see if I should upgrade from the Canon compact I use as my pocketable. I also borrowed the Olympus XZ-1 for a short while recently.

Sadly, I like my red dots, but the image quality isn't actually really much different, and the Canon compact does a better job of throwing out more usable pictures... especially in low light, despite the fact that it doesn't appear to have large a light-collecting area. It's also far more Panasonic than Leica in that it just does not have the native Leica usability. I noticed this with the D-Lux 4 coming to it from the M8.2, but I now definitely notice it having also had experience of the X1, 'the other real Leica'. The usability experience is just night and day.

I'm gunning for the S100 now as the upgrade, and waiting for reviews to see what the initial opinions are like, and if I for any reason need a larger compact with a lens cap, I'll make a beeline for the XZ-1.

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #98 of 174
Nice to see you really gave the Leica camera a tryout and validated your views.
I would venture to say you have moved beyond the enthusiast level with your camera collection.

What's new? Oh, Canon's first Digic V processor. A wider 24mm zoom lens. A 12-megapixel CMOS sensor (up from a 10MP CCD). 1080p video. And GPS built-in...(Gizmodo)

$400 for a camera that shoots RAW and has the same tricks as a Lumix LX-5 sounds good.
Certainly more pocketable than the Leica D-Lux5,the jury won't be out on image quality until November,if I read correct?

Drop back around and show us what you've got in images,I'd love to see your new S100 point and shoot photos!

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #99 of 174

Quote:
Nice to see you really gave the Leica camera a tryout and validated your views.
I would venture to say you have moved beyond the enthusiast level with your camera collection.

What's new? Oh, Canon's first Digic V processor. A wider 24mm zoom lens. A 12-megapixel CMOS sensor (up from a 10MP CCD). 1080p video. And GPS built-in...(Gizmodo)

$400 for a camera that shoots RAW and has the same tricks as a Lumix LX-5 sounds good.
Certainly more pocketable than the Leica D-Lux5,the jury won't be out on image quality until November,if I read correct?

Drop back around and show us what you've got in images,I'd love to see your new S100 point and shoot photos!

"you have moved beyond the enthusiast level "

No I haven't, believe me, and that is kind of the point. For me usability is king for a P&S and if I'm going to put up with a lens cap, manual-release flash etc, the image quality / exposure had damned well better make up for it. And sadly, even when compared to the S90 let alone the S95 it's not worth it. And obviously, regardless of my level of proficiency (honestly, I'm pretty crap at this) I have eyes and I can do a side-by-side comparison. 

I don't think the DL5 is that bad value in terms of what you get if you consider the overall package (including the snob value), especially as I think you get Lightroom now just like the X1, but it's just way less practical than the Canon S as a compact while not going anywhere near far enough in terms of image quality. Put it this way: If the X1 and the better mirrorless APS-C compacts / entry DSLRs are gauged as 100%, then the difference between the Canon and the Leica-Pana is something like 27% vs 30% (these are arbitrary figures I've fished out of my butt, but you see what I mean).

It's just that the XZ-1 is a demonstrably better 'slightly larger sensor' compact both in terms of sensor and optics, and the S90/95 and possibly the S100 offers almost the same thing in a much more portable and practical, and you could say in a better-engineered package.

I do hope they haven't 'done a Vista' on the S100. We'll see. Personally, what I really want to see from Leica is a zoom-lensed X1 with an F2.0 maximum, and much faster overall operation in the same size / price (though I think if they did come out with this, they'd probably be content with jacking up the price by another thou at least), cuz that would be awesome.

Oct 2, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #101 of 174
Sunday,October 02,2011 First annual Toronto Audio Video Entertainment Show.

Held at the venerable King Edward Hotel ,37 King St. Toronto,on the second floor with large halls and the sixth floor all rooms,it was a great audio show.

Bryston Room,I like their new BDP-1 media player.

diy Audio Note Kit table,made here in Ottawa.

Met Jack Wu,listened to Senn 800,AKG 701,Grado and picked the Beyer T-1 as my favorite on the WA 22.

CEntrance small form gear,very nice,Beyer DT-880 on their dac/amp straight out of the usb from a laptop was really good.

One of my favorite rooms,Gershman Acoustics-Black Swan speakers,Pass Labs Preamplifiers and 1.2 KW Monoblocks,PS Audio Power Regenerator and Perfect Wave Player/DAC

TubeMagic KT-88 amplifier that sounded great with their room treatment.

Tannoy Prestige...

Beautiful Totem poster,they had the best room IMO,almost like a refined "Jungle Room"

Heard any Focal's lately? I have.

Capped it off with the "Big Smoke Hamburger"-horseradish mayo,smoked white cheddar cheese,tomato and lettuce.Right across the road from the King Edward Hotel!

Wonderful show,I was there almost 4 hours and certainly did not see it all.

Oct 7, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #102 of 174
Corner detail...

Hollywood style back drop (notice the shadows on the sky)...

Up close in b&w...

Puddles...

Oct 7, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #103 of 174
Nice,like out of a book LFF...

Really,that TAVES audio show was fantastic,so many well thought out sound systems to enjoy.

Half of a home stack I am sitting in front of ,honestly still enamoured with the rare Yamaha 1975 VFET B-1 power amplifier hooked up to 1980 JBL L-112 monitors.

Using a Sansui AU 20000 as a B-1 preamplifier,also running a Stax SRD-7/SB adaptor from the speaker taps pushing SR-X Mark 3 Earspeakers,fed with a Bel Canto DAC 1.5 e via PC,love steaming internet radio.

Running a Marantz 2285 receiver(tuner) through a Sansui AU 2000 preamplifier + AU 2000 Power amp not in view,for analogue radio,pushing Vandersteen floorstand speakers.

Took some $ 13,000 Totem speakers & a whack of Arcam/Bryston to make me think I may do better...(really,I just want to entertain the Totem poster girl)

Oct 7, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #104 of 174
Quote:
Nice,like out of a book LFF...
Really,that TAVES audio show was fantastic,so many well thought out sound systems to enjoy.
Half of a home stack I am sitting in front of ,honestly still enamoured with the rare Yamaha 1975 VFET B-1 power amplifier hooked up to 1980 JBL L-112 monitors.
Using a Sansui AU 20000 as a B-1 preamplifier,also running a Stax SRD-7/SB adaptor from the speaker taps pushing SR-X Mark 3 Earspeakers,fed with a Bel Canto DAC 1.5 e via PC,love steaming internet radio.
Running a Marantz 2285 receiver(tuner) through a Sansui AU 2000 preamplifier + AU 2000 Power amp not in view,for analogue radio,pushing Vandersteen floorstand speakers.
Took some $ 13,000 Totem speakers & a whack of Arcam/Bryston to make me think I may do better...(really,I just want to entertain the Totem poster girl)

Very nice setup, with me selling my Sansui AU-999, i miss it, and i like it more than my 2270. I need an AU-11000 or is there something better than that thats an intergrated...

Oct 7, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #105 of 174
I took a look at the AU11000 yesterday and how could he even recommend me that. I'll spend a little extra for the AU22000, because there is nothing else like it.

My,how you have changed since post #973 in the Vintage Amp thread !

Good for you,realizing that the Sansui AU 11000 integrated is a great sounding bargain and the Sansui CA 2000 Preamplifier and BA 2000 Power amplifier are even better.

I'm still scouting for a second BA 2000 Power Amp,to get more headroom on the speakers,the CA 2000 Preamplifier has two outputs for two amplifiers and a better volume control than the even the AU 20000 integrated,plus a separate headphone amplifier built in.

Try separates for a change,I believe you will be pleasantly surprised and they should be no more than a few hundred bucks greater than the integrated total cost,just the preamplifier alone is a kick ass headphone amp with tone controls...you will love it.

My thoughts are that Sansui was designed with the North American market in mind (quick power on the volume control),while Yamaha leans more toward the traditional Japanese sound tastes(not so in your face).

If you heart is set on integrated, then the Sansui AU 20000 is the next step up and trust me it is LOUD even for my tastes,you need a large room or power hungry phones.

Research the 70's Yamaha integrateds for their 'Natural' sound - it's a love it hate it story,like most things in audio...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back