Leica D-Lux 5 & Lumix DMC-LX5 (TAVES Toronto Audio show - Nov.01, 2013 - Photos)
Apr 27, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #16 of 174
Is this a manual camera? 

It is a compact camera that can be used fully automatic or manual. The great design feature is that the manual control can be done without having to go through lot's of menus, simply a turn wheel on the back.The image quality in the short time I have used it is wonderful. Hopefully will get some shot's up once I have gotten used to everything. Oh and lightroom is wonderful to use!

Apr 30, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #17 of 174

I think the problem with the D-Lux (ex 4 owner, I went to an M8.2 after that and that didn't work out for me either) is that it's more a DSLR in terms of the slight hassle it brings to the table, without anywhere near the quality of a DSLR. Panasonic have always had issues with low-light usage and I found the 4 pretty poor in that respect, and where it would take really good pictures (outside, bright) other good compact cameras do get pretty close. I'm very happy with my Canon S90. Doesn't get in the way at all, more versatile in all light conditions, just better to live with.

May 1, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #18 of 174
Reasons to consider the Canon S90

Significantly lighter 198 g vs 271 g Around 30% lighter

Much cheaper $$$ around 50% less

Reasons to consider the Leica D-LUX 5

Much larger sensor 1/1.7" 8.3x6.2mm vs 1/1.7" 7.6x5.7mm Around 20% larger sensor

Higher resolution movies 720p @ 30fps vs 480p @ 30fps Shoots high resolution HD (720p) video

Better wide angle 24 mm vs 28 mm More than 10% better wide angle

Supports an external flash Yes vs No An external flash often produces better looking flash images

Significantly thinner 1" vs 1.2" Around 20% thinner

Shoots slightly faster 2.5 fps vs 0.9 fps Around 3x faster continuous shooting

Much longer exposures 60s vs 15s 4x longer exposures

I think the low light issue is resolved in the D-lux 5.

Agreed that the S90 is more pocketable and a quick point and shoot.

May 2, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #19 of 174

Quote:
Reasons to consider the Canon S90

Significantly lighter 198 g vs 271 g Around 30% lighter

Much cheaper $$$ around 50% less

Reasons to consider the Leica D-LUX 5

Much larger sensor 1/1.7" 8.3x6.2mm vs 1/1.7" 7.6x5.7mm Around 20% larger sensor

Higher resolution movies 720p @ 30fps vs 480p @ 30fps Shoots high resolution HD (720p) video

Better wide angle 24 mm vs 28 mm More than 10% better wide angle

Supports an external flash Yes vs No An external flash often produces better looking flash images

Significantly thinner 1" vs 1.2" Around 20% thinner

Shoots slightly faster 2.5 fps vs 0.9 fps Around 3x faster continuous shooting

Much longer exposures 60s vs 15s 4x longer exposures

I think the low light issue is resolved in the D-lux 5.

Agreed that the S90 is more pocketable and a quick point and shoot.

The question is, as I said, which you'd find better in use. This will depend on how you use a camera.

e.g. The D-Lux has a manual flash release. That external hot shoe - are you going to always have a flash mounted to it?  Will you remember to release the flash? I know that I've caught way more shots with that S90 that I would (and have) have missed with the Panasonic.

Given the still compact-camera sized sensor on the D-Lux as opposed to something manifestly better, what are these but point & shoots - and if it's not always ready without fail to point & shoot in real-life use, isn't that less useful than one that is?

May 2, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #20 of 174
I moved from a Sony compact point and shoot after dissatisfaction with the cameras picture quality.

Sacrificing ease of use and portability for picture quality was a consideration.

I carry the Leica inside the Lowepro belt pouch or with the shoulder sling,which took some getting used to.

Looking at my pictures and learning what the camera is capable of has pleased my senses.

bangraman,do you have any photos you would share from the S90 to illustrate the type of snapshot you are taking?

I was quite happy with the candid shots from the last page that I took,simply drew up the Leica and fired away,couldn't be simpler...

May 10, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #22 of 174

Quote:
Was checking out the other thread on the LX5 and isn't the D-Lux 5 essentially the same camera, but rebranded by Leica?

Yes.

Not sure what the differences are, but between the old LX3 and D-LUX 4, they were:
* different jpg processing engine (so jpg colour output is different)
* different software (Panasonic comes with SilkyPix, Leica comes with Capture One)

May 10, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #23 of 174
Yes.

Not sure what the differences are, but between the old LX3 and D-LUX 4, they were:
* different jpg processing engine (so jpg colour output is different)
* different software (Panasonic comes with SilkyPix, Leica comes with Capture One)

They are the same, Leica has different firmware which I have found makes a positive difference and with the D-Lux 5 you also get adobe LIghtroom thrown in for good measure.
Here are a couple of quick shots I took at the weekend, nothing great,just playing around with the camera.
First is right out of the camera shot with the dynamic black and white mode

second,cropped and using the adobe Lomo effect.

May 14, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #24 of 174
So,playing around with full manual settings today and quite like what comes from that. Very very easy to use the manual settings. This has to be the best compact camera I have used for user friendly hands on control.
These two are straight out of the camera,dynamic B&W setting no cropping or PS.

May 14, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #26 of 174
You sure like your B & W shots,which turn out well in your hands!

Do you capture in RAW ?

Grab that skull in the window,makes a useful headphone rest.

Thank you! Yeah,I have always had a thing for B&W, there is a simplicity to it that allows the details to be seen more I feel. I have the camera set to high quality jpeg and raw. must admit raw is new to me so I am trying to figure it all out! You have given me an idea for the LCD's!

May 20, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #27 of 174
These are very nice pictures!

I have been considering the Panasonic DMC-LX5 which is essentially the same thing as the Leica D-Lux 5 without the red dot tax. All I have to do is save up some $$$ and I think the LX5 will definitely be my next camera...a great upgrade to my family's current P&S, a Canon Powershot SD1000.

May 20, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #28 of 174

I have been considering the Panasonic DMC-LX5 which is essentially the same thing as the Leica D-Lux 5 without the red dot tax. All I have to do is save up some $$$ and I think the LX5 will definitely be my next camera...a great upgrade to my family's current P&S, a Canon Powershot SD1000.

remember the red dot tax also buys you another year of leica's excellent warranty plus $300 worth of lightroom if you don't have it but have a use for it. Either way you can't go wrong, the manual controls on these cameras are wonderful. thanks for the kind thoughts on the images as well!

May 21, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #29 of 174

Quote:
Quote:

remember the red dot tax also buys you another year of leica's excellent warranty plus $300 worth of lightroom if you don't have it but have a use for it. Either way you can't go wrong, the manual controls on these cameras are wonderful. thanks for the kind thoughts on the images as well!

I use regular ol' photoshop to fix my pictures so I have no need for lightroom. The warranty would really be the only useful thing but then again...I take excellent care of all my stuff. I got my wife her powershot SD 1000 when it had barely come out and it still works like a charm and looks relatively new. However, I'm looking to upgrade so I can get better images and better control over the images. I do have a DSLR but I am not always in the mood to carry that thing around.

Based on all the reviews and picture samples I have seen, including the ones posted here, it seems the DMC-LX5 will be my next camera.

May 21, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #30 of 174
I use regular ol' photoshop to fix my pictures so I have no need for lightroom. The warranty would really be the only useful thing but then again...I take excellent care of all my stuff. I got my wife her powershot SD 1000 when it had barely come out and it still works like a charm and looks relatively new. However, I'm looking to upgrade so I can get better images and better control over the images. I do have a DSLR but I am not always in the mood to carry that thing around.

Based on all the reviews and picture samples I have seen, including the ones posted here, it seems the DMC-LX5 will be my next camera.

[/quote

You won't regret it and with your needs it makes more sense than the Leica version.
I'm looking forward to seeing some of your pictures!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back