Lehmann Black Cube Linear vs. Super Macro v3 vs. AE-1?
Aug 14, 2005 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bubruelz

New Head-Fier
I would like to know if there is any significant difference in sound quality between these amps. The sources would be a Micro DAC for the Super Macro and AE-1 and the upcoming integrated DAC that will soon appear in the Black Cube (or so I hear). I own Westone UM2s and Grado SR 80s, but am also looking hard at a pair of HD650s or SR 225s. I would appreciate your opinions as there is not much information to be found on the Black Cube. Thanks.

Aug 15, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 13
There are 2 reviews in this section of the website but I'm sure you're familiar with them.
I'm looking for a better amp (than the XCan V3) for my HD650s as well so I'm just as curious as you are. I am planning a trip to Germany next month (business mostly) and the Lehmann is on my short audiotion list (along with the Balanced Reference and the high end Headrooms, Home and Max).
I will inform you about the results, if it won't be too late. Till' then some extra info would be great, won't it?
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 13
I didn't think the Black Cube Linear was a portable amp, at 1.5 Kg - 3 1/2 lbs it would seem a bit much and I don't see where they say it's battery powered. Is there any reason you're comparing it against 2 portable amplifers?

Aug 15, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
I didn't think the Black Cube Linear was a portable amp, at 1.5 Kg - 3 1/2 lbs it would seem a bit much and I don't see where they say it's battery powered. Is there any reason you're comparing it against 2 portable amplifers?

In addition the BCubeLinear would cost you around $700. That is twice the cost of the other two!
biggrin.gif
Of course, Bubrulez might be asking if there is a significant difference, so much that he would want to sacrifice portability and money for the BlackCube.

Aug 15, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 13
i remember reading that sennheiser picked the black cube linear as their amp to show off the 650s and various other cans at some show they were at. seems that they would mesh togethor pretty good if the manufacturer picks it.

Aug 15, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 13
I was under the impression that the Black Cube was portable. My mistake. As for the AE-1 and Supermacro, which do you think is better? I've haven't heard much about the Hornet, except that it sounds alot like the raptor. Any impressions on it as well? I appreciate your thoughts. I want to be sure before spending 3 or 4 hundred dollars. I'm still recovering from my UM2 purchase (but they are great
etysmile.gif
)

Aug 15, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 13
What kind of music do you like? I haven't tried the SM3, but I would consider the SR-71 if you like a laid back presentation or the AE-1 if you prefer a more up front presentation. I haven't heard the SM3 or the Hornet yet. From others comments, I would guess that the Hornet is closer to the AE-1 for sound. The HeadRoom miniAmp with the desktop module is also excellent. Upsides, in my opinion the SR-71 is still the best portable sound out there though its lead has been whittled down by the last round of upgrades from competitors. Downsides, the SR-71 uses 9 volt batteries and can't be plugged into the wall, with new DuraCells it gets about 45-60 hours depending on headphones and volume and probably about 12-15 hours per charge with rechargeables. (There are rumors of a SR-71 that can be plugged into the wall in the design stage, no release date for it yet). The miniAmp would probably get about 10 hours with the Desktop module and new alkaline 9 volts and isn't usable with rechargeables.

Aug 15, 2005 at 9:36 AM Post #8 of 13
The Black Cube Linear is not a battery-powered portable amp.

It is small and light enough to be moved around, though. I've carried it in a backpack to other places.

LehmannSM3.jpg

Aug 15, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 13
I think some people use the blackcube linear in their cars. So is this with a cigarette-lighter adapter?

Aug 15, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
I think some people use the blackcube linear in their cars. So is this with a cigarette-lighter adapter?

Yes, and an inverter for $20 from Ebay. The Lehmann draws about 5 watts or less at 115 volts AC and has a regulated power supply. It has class A output (no opamps) with zero global negative feedback.

I use with the line output from an iRiver IMP 400 (and 350 at times) and Etymotic 4S earphones - best car sound possible! The Etymotics can be used in a loud car or truck because of their noise isolation.

I'm planning to market a battery pack for its use with a portable.

Got to get the weight of the battery pack below 100 pounds I suppose, but it provides one with great exercise in using it in its present form.

Aug 15, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Yes, and an inverter for $20 from Ebay. The Lehmann draws about 5 watts or less at 115 volts AC and has a regulated power supply. It has class A output (no opamps) with zero global negative feedback.

I use with the line output from an iRiver IMP 400 (and 350 at times) and Etymotic 4S earphones - best car sound possible! The Etymotics can be used in a loud car or truck because of their noise isolation.

Does it bother you that you can't hear outside traffic? I mean, is it dangerous?
confused.gif

Aug 15, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Does it bother you that you can't hear outside traffic? I mean, is it dangerous?
confused.gif

Same as playing a car system at loud levels - you learn to drive visually.

Cops can't see the Etymotics in my ears.

Not a single problem in many years - including using the Grado HP-2 before I got the ETYs (which are better in my opinion).

Aug 16, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by widds2v
i remember reading that sennheiser picked the black cube linear as their amp to show off the 650s and various other cans at some show they were at. seems that they would mesh togethor pretty good if the manufacturer picks it.

There was a press release about this for the Home Entertainment 2005 show. The Sennheiser booth was supposed to have a Black Cube amplifier for when people tried their headphones. They did have one but they also had a Headroom Max there as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back