Legit upgrade? Pro-35's (Koss) ---> Senn 497's?
Apr 8, 2003 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

LSU_TIGERS

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased the Radio Shack Pro-35's for <$20. Are these the same as the Koss ksc-35's? Anyway- I'm considering upgrading to something around $60-70. Would the Senn 497's be a dramatic and worthy upgrade from my current set? If not- any suggestions for ~$65. I don't like bright music and lean to the warm side of neutral with my audio equipment.

Source- H/K AVR 120 receiver

Apr 8, 2003 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 14
typically when people are upgrading from koss to another brand, grado is usually recommended due to the fact that, for the most part, the two brands have similar sound characteristics in their headphones. but you said you dont like brightness, and many feel that grados are very bright. so you can probably cross any grado can off your list, even though you didnt mention any. but yes, sennheisers (as far as i know) tend to be more neutral and laid back, so it seems like the HD497 would be good for you. also, the radioshack pro-35 uses the same drivers as the KSC-35, almost all of koss's portable headphones do, but they are not the same. the KSC-35's were earclips, and the Pro-35's have a headband. the KSC-35's also had a really close fit to the ear that gave them superior sound qualities than other portables in the koss lineup.

Apr 8, 2003 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the reply- I felt I may need to look past Grados. While researching I did find that many like Grados for their ability to play loud rock music- bright did come up. I guess my main question is: Would the 497s be leaps and bounds better than my current set or would it merely me a "tiny" step forward? In other words- is it worth my $60?!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Apr 8, 2003 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 14
Haven't heard the 35's, but did hear the Koss PortaPros when testing with various other sets over the last couple weeks. I thought the 497's were a major set up, though I ended up going with the Grado SR-80's since I found a used set from a fellow Head-Fi member at a good price.

The 497's seem to be in many major electronics stores (at least here in the US). They should be reasonably easy to find and test.

Have to admit the 497's were really a stand out for their price point. I think they're available from Amazon for $55 shipped (have moved from $53-$64 on their site over the last week).

Apr 8, 2003 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Haven't heard the 35's, but did hear the Koss PortaPros when testing with various other sets over the last couple weeks. I thought the 497's were a major set up, though I ended up going with the Grado SR-80's since I found a used set from a fellow Head-Fi member at a good price.

The 497's seem to be in many major electronics stores (at least here in the US). They should be reasonably easy to find and test.

Have to admit the 497's were really a stand out for their price point. I think they're available from Amazon for $55 shipped (have moved from $53-$64 on their site over the last week).

Ahhh, I meant a major step up, NOT a major set up . They're good phones.

Apr 8, 2003 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Would the 497s be leaps and bounds better than my current set or would it merely me a "tiny" step forward

the 497's would definitely be more than a tiny step, but they wouldn't be leaps and bounds ahead either. i have an older koss pro 25, and when i got my SR60's they sounded VERY similar to me, but the grados just made everything better. bigger soundstage, much more refined in terms of smoothness, more bass, etc. they were all improvements, but if you want a BIG step up try looking at the next few models up. i dont know what these would be in the sennheiser lineup, but for grado it would be something like the SR125. but personally i think you're hitting it just right with the HD497's-- i considered them when i got my SR60's, as this level of headphone is true entry-level audiophile stuff. i don't think you'll be dissapointed with the 497's. also, just for the record, i dont find my SR60's bright at ALL, and its why i chose them over the SR80's, which seemed very bright in A-B comparison. and they are killer rock cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2003 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 14
Well you guys sure are quick and informative on this forum! I do not ever plan on buying a headphone amp, an I probably will never upgrade again after this purchase. (probably
smily_headphones1.gif
) I only need something to get m by my last few years of apt. life. If you guys don't see much else to fit my bill for around $60-70 bux I may just pull the trigger this weekend.

Apr 8, 2003 at 8:25 PM Post #8 of 14
lol we're only fast because we have no life other than to talk about headphones all day
biggrin.gif
but i actually do have to go now, i gotta go to some early college admission thingie. but anyway, hope you're happy with whatever you decide on, if you have any more questions just ask, someone here will have an answer no matter how obscure it may be.

Apr 8, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by LSU_TIGERS
I do not ever plan on buying a headphone amp, an I probably will never upgrade again after this purchase.

Famous last words.

I think I said something similar about a week ago. Spent last two nights doing amp & crossfeed research. Damn this site.

Apr 8, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Well you guys sure are quick and informative on this forum! I do not ever plan on buying a headphone amp, an I probably will never upgrade again after this purchase. (probably
smily_headphones1.gif
) I only need something to get m by my last few years of apt. life. If you guys don't see much else to fit my bill for around $60-70 bux I may just pull the trigger this weekend.

Notice my sarcastic smile.
smily_headphones1.gif

If this is as addictive as Home Theater Audio and Car Audio you guys will know my home town and family in a few short weeks.

Apr 8, 2003 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Notice my sarcastic smile.
smily_headphones1.gif

If this is as addictive as Home Theater Audio and Car Audio you guys will know my home town and family in a few short weeks.

Stay away from Hydrogen Audio , Digital Photography Review , and under no circumstances go here.

Apr 8, 2003 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

I do not ever plan on buying a headphone amp, an I probably will never upgrade again after this purchase.

Oh no. you can't get away that easily! You are hooked now - just like I am!
biggrin.gif
Enjoy - You'll be spending money you don't have, too.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back