Legendary PCDPs gallery
Nov 13, 2002 at 1:58 AM Post #61 of 136
I got my D-25 today. I never realized how hefty it would be. Feels like I could knock someone out with it. I can't believe I got it for so cheap too. Prestine condition with a case logic bag, the orginal sony power supply and the orginal sony RCA cables for $35 shipped. Now all I need is some better headphones, a portable PCDP, an amp, some cables, and some more CDs...(Note sarcasm.)

Nov 15, 2002 at 11:47 AM Post #62 of 136
Quote:

Originally posted by x1lexure
Feels like I could knock someone out with it.

hahah, that's how it is with the old sony pcdp's. actually i think the more accurate description would be "feels like i could kill someone with it."
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 22, 2002 at 2:44 PM Post #63 of 136
I'm from France and this is a D2 that my brother bought for me in New York, at a time where CDMan and even bookshelf players were still rare for home use.
It was my first CD player and I used it a lot at home before buying a "real" more convenient player.

It's still in excellent shape and working order. But don't try to walk with it or use it in a car, it will stop playing at the very first small bump. They did not yet used or even thought to use any kind of memory to manage shock-protection...

Dec 22, 2002 at 2:54 PM Post #64 of 136
Sorry, new try with picture...

I'm from France and this is a D2 that my brother bought for me in New York, at a time where CDMan and even bookshelf players were still rare for home use.
It was my first CD player and I used it a lot at home before buying a "real" more convenient player.

It's still in excellent shape and working order. But don't try to walk with it or use it in a car, it will stop playing at the very first small bump. They did not yet used or even thought to use any kind of memory to manage shock-protection...

attachment.php

Jan 8, 2003 at 2:03 AM Post #66 of 136
Sony D-2, January 1990

D2top.jpg
D2front.jpg

D2button.jpg
D2open.jpg

if anyone wants higher resolution pics just pm me or reply in this thread or something. the CD-R in the pcdp is the Verbatim Vinyl CD-R.

Jan 10, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #67 of 136
A white D-150 with case, isn't it awesome? I didn't even know they existed. I really wanted to bid on it, but I'm out of money
frown.gif

d-150.jpg

d-150b.jpg

The Denon DCP-150 I received today, I'm planning on making more photos of it, but I only have a non-digital camera.

dcp150.jpg

Complete Denon DCP70 (DCP50 + remote). I should be receiving this sometime soon. It's defective though, so I hope I can fix it. I'm planning on taking some nice photos of it.

dcp50.jpg

I'll also take some pictures of my (also defective) white D-100 when it arrives.

Jan 15, 2003 at 3:01 AM Post #68 of 136
gawd... i love this thread!
biggrin.gif

here's some more stuff:

p9.JPG

p10.JPG

my Sony D-555 that I inherited from my brother. I remember him ordering it in 1992 from Crutchfield for $279.99. his very first discman, he wouldn't part with it for the next several years until i got him a D-777 for christmas. sonically, nothing i've heard can compare with the D-555. hands down, THE BEST sound quality discman.

p8.JPG

ahh... my very first discman! my trusty D-321 that my brother bought for me on my birthday at J&R in 1994 (i think) for $199. i'm suprised no one has mentioned the D-321 because it's one of the best ones i've came across. the output is amazingly loud, the soundstage and imaging is very good. it had very nice bass, i attribute it to the digital signal processing which has four setings: bass 1, bass 2, vocal, and car. unlike the regular "mega bass" circuitry, the bass 1 and 2 settings were always powerful and tight and never boomy. the treble was clear and sharp. it had the most sexy design of its time, as well as the best form factor. and it was built like a brick! i didn't part with it for a single day until i got myself the D-EJ915.

p3.JPG

here's some pics from an old Sony brochure i have. i don't have a scanner, so i just took some snapshots a few minutes ago. i could scan some pages at work tomorrow if you guys like:

p1.JPG

D-311
p2.JPG

D-515

i'm having so much ful with this thread, i think i'll start a "Vintage Portable Cassette Players" thread!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2003 at 6:21 AM Post #70 of 136
Hi Folks, Here's my first Discman: The Sony D555. Sorry about the poor digital camera quality. Focus is off.

The D555 came with a fake leather case, AC adapter and rechargeable rectangular battery, like a huge 9V battery.

The LCD displays have orange backlighting.

Very nice.

Currently it skips really badly and I can't find the fake leather case
frown.gif
But it looks nice!

Jan 22, 2003 at 5:30 PM Post #71 of 136
Here's an oldie but goodie from my drawer....my first PCDP bought after much obsessing in 1986...

The Technics SL-XP5

tech2.jpg

Here are the Sony MDR V6 cans I used with it:

v61.jpg

Remember these? The AIWA A3 Compact Speaker System...the player is shown docked to the HEAVY battery brick underneath.

aiwa2.jpg

Check out the cool mesh front carrying case
smily_headphones1.gif

aiwa1.jpg

John

Jan 22, 2003 at 5:37 PM Post #72 of 136
Nice! It looks a bit like a record player
smily_headphones1.gif
Does it sound good?

Jan 22, 2003 at 5:59 PM Post #73 of 136
Quote:

Originally posted by LamerDeluxe (tm)
Nice! It looks a bit like a record player
smily_headphones1.gif
Does it sound good?

Yes...it does look like a miniature record player...that was the reason I chose it over the Sony back then...it looked nice next to my Technics SL7 direct drive turntable when I plugged it into my main system.

I just tried it out again after all these years and it still sounds suprisingly good. The headphone connectors are a bit loose inside...so you can't move the cord around too much (at all)...back in 1986 it sounded like heaven.
smily_headphones1.gif

John

Jan 22, 2003 at 6:06 PM Post #74 of 136
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
Yes...it does look like a miniature record player...that was the reason I chose it over the Sony back then...it looked nice next to my Technics SL7 direct drive turntable when I plugged it into my main system.

Cool
biggrin.gif

Quote:

[B[I just tried it out again after all these years and it still sounds suprisingly good. The headphone connectors are a bit loose inside...so you can't move the cord around too much (at all)...back in 1986 it sounded like heaven.
smily_headphones1.gif

John [/B]

Hmm, too bad, maybe the connectors can be fixed somehow. If you could reach those metal contacts inside the player and maybe push them in a bit. Probably use some contact spray as well to improve it.

Jan 25, 2003 at 6:27 AM Post #75 of 136
So how do you use these contact sparys, just spray into the jack?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back