Legendary Discman: Sony D-311 (Limited Edition Model)
Oct 15, 2002 at 12:36 AM Post #17 of 30
Onix,
I don't think so. This thing is very thin. The thickest part is on the LCD unit which is about the same thickness of my Ej01.

Purk

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:33 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
whoa! 33 euro!

Too bad we are not in Germany
frown.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 5:31 PM Post #20 of 30
Oct 15, 2002 at 6:01 PM Post #21 of 30
Yep,
That is the D-321. So, be awere. I don't know how good is this player. It has DSP, and ESP...so someone might want to take their chance and let us know.

For now, my D-311 rocks!!
Purk

Oct 16, 2002 at 2:08 AM Post #22 of 30
I have tried a similar model called the Sony D330(looks similar but was made in 1996)....

That was when I was using my Sennheiser 497(which was slightly bright in the top end) and was listening through the lineout.....the top end seems to be a little bright and it may be due to the Senn497, but what is good about the D330 during my impression was that the midrange is very warm and musical.

I have not tried the line out yet......think I may want to go to Cash Converters and have a listen....with my W100 and CHA47 amp

Who knows I may also buy it.....
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2002 at 2:20 PM Post #24 of 30
Also, some CDs have this scraping sound when I play them on my D-12, others are silent. All the discs tested are new. One of the remastered Bob Marley (Burnin') is LOUD when it is spinning, like scary loud but it doesn't leave a mark on the disc. Other, (Catch a Fire) is really quiet and smooth. I though it was the ring around the center disc, some are rough cut more than others. Have any of you had this problem w/ old Sonys?

Oct 16, 2002 at 7:18 PM Post #25 of 30
Andrew,
The website you mentioned is not working anymore. But, D-20 seems like a good player. I can't comment on it, b/c I never heard it. But, from my experience with Sony Discman, I really think any player that has DDS system usually a more highend player. This feature equips in D-555, D-311, and D-515. The gold plated line out is also a good sign of great quality as well. This feature equips in Sony D-555, D-303, and D-515. And whenever DSP can be engaged on the line out, expect a lot of fun factors. This features equips in D-311, D-515, and D-555.

Purk

Sep 25, 2003 at 10:06 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by purk

I'm not an audiophile and I don't have 4000 worths of equipments to compare. I prefer "Enjoyment" to "Accuration." Everyone develops their own taste, and this opinion is based on mine perception. So don't ask me if i can compare any of my discman to the 500 dollars+ stand alone CD player. [/B]

I am an audiophile and I do own $4000 worth of equipment (actually ONE of my cd players alone cost around that...a Meridian 508.20), anyways, I also own a Sony D-311.

I'd have to say that i was pretty happy with the sound way back in the early 90's but I was hoping to buy the D-EJ2000 from Sony, but if it isnt any better sounding, than ill retire using portable cd players completly.

If you want the D-311 make me an offer....I it is in pefect condition, of course, with the original box and all manuals, papers...etc.

Sep 25, 2003 at 11:55 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by picklgreen
I'd have to say that i was pretty happy with the sound way back in the early 90's but I was hoping to buy the D-EJ2000 from Sony, but if it isnt any better sounding, than ill retire using portable cd players completly.

Have you considered the other portable format: MiniDisc? I'd say the current crop of MD players/recorders have better sound than the offering of PCDPs now.

Sep 25, 2003 at 12:23 PM Post #28 of 30
I own several hundred cd's and I don't want to have to change formats. Also if you my memory serves me corrctly, MD format uses a type of "compressed" format in which they cut a certain amount of the frequency range to reserve on space. I have not been too impressed with the sound quality of those.

I also own a portable DAT player which sounds pretty good (i use a professional ADAT machine to make the DATS), but again, I don't like to have to rerecord music I alread have on cd's.

Sep 25, 2003 at 1:10 PM Post #29 of 30
What kind of a portable setup are you after though? A good feature of the newer PCDPs such as the EJ2000 is their excellent shock protection, but unfortunately often the compromise is the sound quality (or lack of). Very portable setups benefit greatly from having some kind of shock protection - however any kind of buffer means there is some amount of compression, so you'll be losing a bit of definition.
If you're not really needing it to be portable to the point of jogging with your setup, some people, (like myself) can be OK with turning off the shock protection at the expense of just listening to it in more or less stationary positions, eg. trains, buses, slow walk.

Again, I think you should give MDs a second look. I also own many many cds and I love my D777, but as a portable format, IMHO, MD wins hands down. And in context of using a portable audio device in its most likely environment, sound quality will always be slightly effected, to the point of the differences between CD and MD quality becoming negligible when walking along a street. YMMV, of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

Even though the EJ2000 isn't looking too favourable compared to the classic PCDPs and even your D311, I don't think you should give up on portable music! Portable players will never get to the high fidelity of audiophile-grade home equipment, but they make up for it in convenience and fun!

Sep 27, 2003 at 4:33 AM Post #30 of 30
You pose a good question which is essentially what will I be using it for. Truth be told, I won't be using it actually at all for portable use. I mostly wanted it to have becuase I am your typical addicted audophile....I have far too much equipment as it is to use it all! After going through a closet the other night I actually found two more portable cd players I forgot I even owned!

Hey you only live once right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back