Left speaker crackling + max output question
Jul 8, 2020 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Shavit

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I have a couple of MLP-202 speakers that have had their components swapped out due to a bad tweeter and now after a couple of years the crackling have returned to the same speaker (which is the left speaker). The speakers are hooked up to a Luxman R-1030 receiver. Is there a way to inspect what's the problem before going to a shop?
I should mention that the receiver is hooked up to my pc, and that's the main audio source.

And another question:
What should be my audio output be on the computer? Currently the output is at 20/100 listening to music and I do the adjusting on the receiver. Should my audio output on the source be 100, and I should only adjust the receiver output?

Thank you!

Jul 8, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 5
1.) Swap the speaker to the other channel wiring. Does the crackling remain?

2.) While the speaker is crackling can you put your finger gently on the cone and does the cracking go away?

For your volume question:
Set your source volume to 90% and use your receiver volume. This helps prevent clipping on your amp if your source volume is too low. This is common especially with DAC's that output less than 2v RMS. Hard to know what your DAC is outputting without measuring it, but I've set my source volume between 80-100% forever and it works great.

Jul 8, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 5
1.) Swap the speaker to the other channel wiring. Does the crackling remain?

2.) While the speaker is crackling can you put your finger gently on the cone and does the cracking go away?

For your volume question:
Set your source volume to 90% and use your receiver volume. This helps prevent clipping on your amp if your source volume is too low. This is common especially with DAC's that output less than 2v RMS. Hard to know what your DAC is outputting without measuring it, but I've set my source volume between 80-100% forever and it works great.
Okay, I think you're onto something, when I switched sides, the RIGHT speaker started crackling. That means the problem is with the receiver.
What does that mean for repairing it?

Jul 9, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 5
Can you explain what you swapped in a little more detail.

Did you swap just the cables going into the receiver?

Did you swap the cables at the speakers?

Most crackling issues are caused by bad wiring somewhere. I would start by using the wiring on the "good speaker / side" and move that wiring to the "bad" side. If the problem goes away then the wiring is the problem. To further test this swap the "good" wiring to the possible bad channel on the receiver and test again. If the problem persists then you know it is not the wiring and most likely a loose connection inside the receiver.

Jul 9, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #5 of 5
Here is a video that may help if you want to take a look and try a simple fix inside the receiver.

Be sure to unplug the receiver first and let the caps drain for 30s prior to attempting this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back