Left side louder than right.
Jan 15, 2012 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Simon C

New Head-Fier
Okay, so i just recently rewired my Monoprice headphones (the Kicker rebrands) internally with some silver-plated ofc teflon wire (Navships stuff) to replace the hokey hair-thin enameled wire they ship with. All said and done, i button them back up, and the right channel sounds noticeably more muted than the left. The highs are higher on the left channel, and the bass is punchier.
Okay, so i swap the channels going into my amp. same deal. so its not source related. Next, I swap the drivers themselves around in the cans. Nope. Still having the same issue with the left channel. So then I go ahead and take my multimeter to the completed phones. Test the left channel to ground, 30ohms. Test the right channel to ground. 30ohms again. (tested through the cable, to take everything into account.)

I dont know what it could be. Its really ticking me off. it almost seems like a function of the can itself... Could it be? or is the wiring somehow causing an issue that i cant measure?

In case it needs to be clarified, the monoprice headphones have a stereo mini jack on one side for a detachable cable. i wanted to keep this function so i just rewired them as stock. So that means i have two 28awg teflon coated silver-ofc wires going from the left earpiece, through the band, and over to the right earpiece. My solder connections are all good and everything seems to check out electrically. This is really ticking me off. 

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 2
Nevermind. Turns out I'm just dumb and my right ear is plugged up from a recent cold. Duh. 

Oh well, hey at least I know now that my mod skills are still up to snuff from that rigorous testing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back