Left/Right ear, different sound.
Jan 4, 2005 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

NuTT98

Head-Fier
Alright then, so when I play music panned about 20dB to the left, it appears to come from somewhat to the side of the head. But when I play it 20dB to the right, it appears to distinctly come from further out and forward.

I've tried swapping cables, reversing the headphones on my head, yet the left side always maintained this problem, which made me come to the obvious conclusion that it's me not the hardware.

At first I thought one of my ears has mild damage, but running test tones, both seem to have just about identical response, particularly in the region where damage would occur 3-4kHz. I remember reading that the left human ear considerably deviates in sound perception than the right. If this is the cause of the mysterious oddity, I'd have never expected it to be so significant.

So my question is, am I way off?

Do note that this was tested with crossfeed! Without crossfeed, both sides sound very in-ear and just about the same. Crossfeed makes it much more obvious by adding definition to the sound's location. So if you want to test, make sure you've got plenty of that.

And I also found it very helpful to imagine the sound coming from a particular point in the room. For example looking at a speaker placed to the right made the perception that the sound is coming from up front more apparent, unfortunately this did not work for the left side.

Oh well, that's it
lambda.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #2 of 12
I dont think anyone has perfectly equal hearing in both ears. One of my ears hear bass better than the other, but only by a few decibels.

If you think you are suffering from hearing damage, you may want to see a doctor or an audiologist. They might be able to provide a test to check the threshold of your hearing across the audio spectrum.

There are many reasons why hearing becomes more and more imbalanced over time. Some people who shoot guns without proper hearing protection may suffer hearing damage quicker in one ear.

Jan 4, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #3 of 12
Hmmm, my left ear *sometimes* sounds like the music is a little brighter and or louder.

Of course listening to a pendulum (Regression - Dream Theater) both sound the same.

And this happens more with ear buds, sometimes this happens with my grado's but its much more subtle. (Keep in mind this only happens rarely)

Now of course that I've talked about it, next time I listen to music it will be the most unbalanced ever, but what can you do?

Jan 4, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 12
I'd advise a visit to an ENT doctor or audiologist and getting an audiogram done, just to find out what the problem is. I've never heard before that all people have noticeably different hearing in their left ear before. I do, but according to my audiograms I've had done, I've got mild to severe hearing loss in the 4-8kHz range in my left ear along with a case of tinnitis in that ear. My hearing is very uniform and flat in both ears up to 4kHz or so, but above that my left ear has problems. Call and schedule an appointment, you'll be glad you did.

-Keith

Jan 5, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 12
I never felt that music sounded different between my left and right ears but I do notice a difference between them when listening on the telephone.

Jan 5, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #6 of 12
I really don't think I need to get my ears checked. I'm sure there's no hearing loss, I've done some relatively simple tests by running the lowest audible tone to both ears, and it was the same to both through the full frequency range.

My dad said to listen to the telephone
lambda.gif
. The perception is indeed slightly different in one ear than the other, as If I didn't already know that.

Jan 5, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #7 of 12
My left ear hears a lot more detailed than my right, my right just kinda hears everything is low bassy frequency. This is odd because I had my concussion on my left side. But I think it is more natural than anything else, I'd be suprised if someone had perfectly symmetrical sound to their ears.

Jan 5, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by NuTT98
I really don't think I need to get my ears checked. I'm sure there's no hearing loss, I've done some relatively simple tests by running the lowest audible tone to both ears, and it was the same to both through the full frequency range.

Playing a single tone or a couple of tones at the same level to one ear then the other is absolutely worthless compared to a real audiogram. You say you are sure you have no hearing loss or hearing problems, yet you report not hearing the same through both ears. Oh well, its your ears, do what you want with them.

-Keith

Jan 5, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #9 of 12
First I would try that head on another rig using the same CD. Then I would try another CD.

The easiest thing to do would be to get E.R.O. ear drops and use it for a week or get an ear wash, to see if the symptoms change.

Jan 5, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #10 of 12
Sounds like the same thing I have. My left ear doesn't locate sounds nearly as well as my right ear. I believe its because the bones in my ear have otosclerosis so they don't conduct sound so well anymore. I haven't gone to an audiologist yet, but I will if it gets much worse.

If it is otosclerosis there is an operation, but there is also a risk that it will make you completely deaf, so no thank you. Apparently some people can have it from childbirth and in both ears, but they'll never notice it as they don't have anything to compare it to. I wouldn't notice if my right ear didn't hear so damn well. I got mine suddenly and without warning.

Running test tones gives me the same result as to you. Everything sounds as loud, but all the tones seem to come a little bit from the right. Doesn't really matter at all, except when I use headphones (and I use'em a lot) and then it bothers.

It's weird that it doesn't seem to affect hearing except everything heard from my left ear gets panned about middle-left and everything I hear from my right ear gets panned way right. Theres a huge soundstage difference between my ears! And yours apparently.

P.S My left ear hears the tone 2000-3000 better than my right ear, but it's still panned very strangely to both right and left side of my head. Its like my left ear hears better, but my brain just pans it right. Or the tone sounds different if it comes from right or left. It feels pretty much like otosclerosis.

http://www.earsurgery.org/otoscl.html

http://www-surgery.ucsd.edu/ent/Pati...sclerosis.html

Jan 5, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #11 of 12
Get some ear wax removal product from your local drug store before you go and consult and spend money on audiologists.

A very small bit of ear wax built up on, or near, your ear drum will drastically change the sound. Clean your ears and you'll notice a HUGE difference in the way things sound, especially music. It's very possible that one ear has some ear wax that the other one doesn't. I know that's happened to me.

If after a good cleaning you still notice this problem, then go consult with professionals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back