"Left-entry" recable question
Sep 29, 2007 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

slowpogo

500+ Head-Fier
I want to try recabling my Audio Technica ATH-D40fs headphones. The cable enters the left side; it is only three wires, and they terminate at a small terminal block attached to the left driver. The wires are TINY (32+ AWG?) and have some kind of cloth dielectric.

That same kind of wire then runs through the headband to the right driver.

My question is, if I replace the main cable with a three-strand braid of some decent SPC (probably 28AWG), do I need to figure out a way to replace the wire connecting the right driver, as well? That is, will the 10 inches or so of cheap, crappy wire cause the right driver to not match the left, sound-wise?

Sep 29, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 4
I'll say yes it will affect the sound, assuming you will hear a difference anyway which I think is likely but some disagree. You should replace that 10" or wire in the headband too.

Why are you re cabling, for sound, fun or to have a nicer quality cable? Probably all 3 I guess.

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 4
After opening the left earpiece and seeing how tiny and crappy the wire looked, it seemed like a very reasonable idea to replace it. It should improve the sound, I doubt it will hurt. It will be fun, and I can make the cable shorter while I'm at it; 5 feet is all I will ever need, not the 12 feet it comes with.

But it will be quite a challenge to figure out how to get the wire from the left to the right... there are holes in the plastic for the wire to feed through, which would have to be widened. I will give it a shot..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back