Left ear louder than the right on circumaurals but not supra-aurals or IEMs
Nov 15, 2015 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Scot1970

New Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I have recently acquired a pair of beautiful Beyerdynamic DT880s for home PC listening. However, they appear to have the same (but not as much of a) problem as my older K550s: the left ear is louder than the right. The right side feels like there is a kind of audio hole, like a blind spot where sound (particularly mids, non-localised - like ambience or reverb) is attenuated. The imbalance disappears when I press the cups towards my ears with equal pressure. Also, the Meier crossfeed plugin for Foobar at minimum setting reduces the effect slightly, but I don't like to use it because it attenuates the bass.

I don't have this problem with my Grado SR80is, which are supra-aural and I also don't have this problem with any of my IEMs (Shure SE535, Sony MDR MX650P, Soundmagic ES10). Can anyone help with this anomaly, please? I'm wondering if it has something to do with mismatched earlobes (they don't look different) or if it may be psychosomatic. I doubt it is a hearing problem because it only occurs with circumaural phones (both good ones).

I may have to stick with supras. I listen mainly to classical and movies so a wide soundstage, detailed and neutral but powerful and extended sound signature is important to me.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated with:

a) tips on how to reduce/solve this problem, and
b) recommended supras that will give me the signature I'm after as I may have to bite the bullet and sell my circums.

Thank you,
Scot

PC/Foobar2000 (with ASIO plug-in)
Arcam rPac DAC/amp
Beyerdynamic DT880/AKG K550/Grado SR80i

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 3
Hi there Wolfjeane,

I've tried sliding one cup forward slightly and this seems to help slightly but the effect re-asserts itself when the cans re-settle back to their balanced position. I think sealing was a major issue with the K550s but not so with the DT880s. Again this afternoon, I was listening to a BBC doc on the Earth;s core (fascinating, by the way) and eventually swapped the DT880s for the Grados because I was constantly finding myself re-adjusting them. The problem immediately disappeared with the Grados. Pity, because I'm beginning to really love the Beyer's open, detailed sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back