Left channel of Sennheiser HD600 stock cable is broken - should I get new stock cable or another one?
Sep 24, 2014 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Aelius

Head-Fier
Hey, I have Sennheiser HD600, and out of the blue while I was just sitting here listening to music, the left channel lost audio and now it intermittently loses audio (or at least crackles a lot) even if I move my height ever so slightly.

I know the problem is the cable because when I switch the L and R cabling the right side suffers the same problem while the left side becomes fine again.

So, I'm wondering if I should replace the stock cable ($30) or get an aftermarket cable. Are there any superior aftermarket cables (durability-wise) for around the same price? I have no issues with the stock cable, but if there's an objectively better one I might as well consider getting that since I'm getting a new cable one way or another. :)

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, the left side always has a bit of tension applied to it, since the cable comes up from the floor on my right-hand side. Not much tension, just whatever the tension that gravity applies to 2.5 feet of cable. Is it likely that this is what caused the problem with my left cable, or is it more likely coincidental? I assume the cables are designed to withstand the slight tension that having the cable droop off-center would cause, but perhaps not long term? I don't know.

Sep 24, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 6
Get an HD650 stock cable. I think they're like $12 plus $9 shipping (prices from about a year ago). The quality of the cable is much better than the stock HD600 cable, and for the price it can't be beaten. Call Sennheiser and order one, don't go on eBay or somewhere else for one as the prices might be jacked up. 

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks, I got the HD650 cable. It should be here tomorrow. So, is it likely that having the left side of the cable at a nearly constant state of tension is what causes this problem? Or should I not worry about that with my new cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back