Left 4 Dead Two
Oct 29, 2009 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Moontan13

1000+ Head-Fier
A demo is out and running for the newest iteration of L4D. Only one chapter, The Parish, is available for play but it shows off many new parts of the game. There's an armoured zombie that has to be melee'd or shot in the back, and one called a Jockey, and a spitter and ... There's also melee weapons lying around. A nightstick and a frying pan being the most common seen so far, with some sort of bio-goo grenade that attracts and continues to attract the horde. It doesn't kill them, but gathers them in one spot for mass kills. Fun!

For those not knowing L4D is a 4 person co-operative shooting game.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Havent checked it out yet. How are the system requirements? will it run on a machine that barely pulled off the original L4D?

I couldn't say. I'm running an E6750 2 x 2.66g, 2 gb Ram and an 8800GT and a 28" 19x12 LCD. Looks great with everything med-hi to high settings. I can't utilize dual cores (mobo issue), so that's holding it back.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #4 of 23
no release for Ps3?
frown.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no release for Ps3?
frown.gif

No. But then, it looks like it's a Vista only game, so I'll have to give up XP. The demo works in XP...huh...

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. But then, it looks like it's a Vista only game, so I'll have to give up XP. The demo works in XP...huh...

Still using the source engine, still DX9. XP should work.

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If its the same source engine I might be able to run it.

Gabe hates PS3, he has been quite open about it as well. So Valve games wont come out on PS3

IIRC you can run linux on a PS3. I also happen to know that if you know what you are doing, you can run L4D on linux.

If you can run it on the version of linux that will run on a PS3, well maybe not. But it might be worth a shot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC you can run linux on a PS3. I also happen to know that if you know what you are doing, you can run L4D on linux.

If you can run it on the version of linux that will run on a PS3, well maybe not. But it might be worth a shot.
smily_headphones1.gif

interesting. i have psubuntu installed on my PS3. forgot which version, but one of the newer versions. ubuntu runs extremely slow as it is on the PS3, so i don't know how well L4D will fair on it. i think it's due to the extremely low amount of memory something like 256mb?

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
interesting. i have psubuntu installed on my PS3. forgot which version, but one of the newer versions. ubuntu runs extremely slow as it is on the PS3, so i don't know how well L4D will fair on it. i think it's due to the extremely low amount of memory something like 256mb?

9 cores and 256mb of ram?

Nice one, sony. A++ job.

EDIT: According to wikipedia there is 256mb of system mem and 256 of graphics mem. On a semi related note, the graphics chip is based off of a geforce 7800.

Low level programming is pretty cool, I guess.

Nov 1, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #11 of 23
Head Fi'ers that are interested in L4D2 should organize some 4-pack buys. That way, the game costs $33.75 per person rather than $50. I've already got two (myself and a friend) interested.

Nov 1, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
9 cores and 256mb of ram?

Nice one, sony. A++ job.

EDIT: According to wikipedia there is 256mb of system mem and 256 of graphics mem. On a semi related note, the graphics chip is based off of a geforce 7800.

Low level programming is pretty cool, I guess.

It's 256 mb of xram and 256mb of vram.
xram is extremely fast (much faster than DDR3 and a bit faster than DDR5) and is able to cache/dump things very quickly.
The Xbox 360 by contrast has 512 mb of memory (DDR2 or 3 if I am not mistaken). It is much slower by contrast, but is capable of caching a larger amount of textures if physical dumping is not allowed (which it isnt for a lot of multiplat games which results in the ps3 often receiving "scaled back" versions of games produced in america like sports games; typically in the crowd).
Number of cores is irrelevant.

I'll probably skip l4d2. I didn't really like L4D and this looks like a cash grab rehash of the exact same game.

Nov 22, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #14 of 23
Tried the demo last week for 30 minutes or so. Its fun shooting hordes of zombies to no end. Also wacking them with an electrical guitar is fun
smily_headphones1.gif
Havent tried the online part yet, probably gonna give it try but i'm to much occupied with borderlands atm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back