Led Zepp's BBC Sessions >Good or Bad?
Apr 9, 2004 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

goldenear

100+ Head-Fier
The tracks in this compilation are no doubt awesome. I'm more concerned with the way this CD was sound quality wise. If the sound is true and has great bass, I'm sold.

Apr 9, 2004 at 8:05 AM Post #2 of 10
Surprisingly (for the BBC) I find most of the BBC Sessions (Cream, the Who, Zepplin) pretty poorly recorded. They're OK but certainly nothing to write home about from a sonic standpoint. Download and sample. I was pretty disappointed with these three collections, however. You're much better off with "How the West Was Won" IMO.

Apr 9, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 10
I thought sound quality was usually pretty bad on the BBC sessions. AFAIK they were in mono in the early days, when broadcasts were on AM. I think they only served the purpose of getting around the needletime restrictions, so they had pretty short shelf lives, anyway. So maybe there was a "who cares how it sounds? Just bang it out in the studio" attitude by the crew???

Apr 9, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 10
How the West Was Won is MUCH better sound quality wise.

The DVD is even better.

Apr 10, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 10
Disc 1 is mono, disc 2 is stereo, or maybe it was the other way around, I'm too lazy to pull out my CDs right now. As I remember it the sound wasn't that great at all, I haven't listened to them in ages though. I remember there being a fair bit of tape hiss and noise, and it sounded quite thin compared to their studio albums, it was kinda like someone set the recording level way too low and missed half the music. I could be wrong though, like I said, it's been a long time since I've listened to those CDs.

Apr 12, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks all. How the West was Won it is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 10
I guess I'm too late, but I'd put in another vote for bad BBC sound (though some of the performances are nice for big fans).

Apr 18, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #8 of 10
The sound quality may be poor, but you simply cannot go without purchasing the Zeppelin BBC Sessions. The songs on that cd are amazing; every Zeppelin fan MUST have this CD in their collection. How The West Was Won is incredible as well, especially the Stairway To Heaven rendition. While you are at it go and grab the 2 disc DVD.

Apr 18, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 10
Led Zeppelin is my favorite group/artists. I have the old four disc set that I am going to replace with the newer ten disc remastered set. From what I have read the ten disc set covers pretty much everything. Other than that, I own the BBC Sessions and the Led Zeppelin (2003) two disc dvd. I feel that the last two of those are not all that necessary. I only bought them cause I was worried that I might be missing something if I didn't own them. But basically, the ten remastered cd's are all that a Led Zeppelin fan really needs.
280smile.gif

Apr 19, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #10 of 10
I've never had any luck with the "BBC session" recordings. Whether they are classical, or pop music. You need to be a very dedicated fan (and completest)to buy these.

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back