Led Zepplin Box Set Question
Mar 19, 2004 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Shurenuff

100+ Head-Fier
Hi! I plan to purchase a good majority of Led Zepplin in the near future. I can buy the first box set for an attractive price, however, I'm not sure if it's the best idea. The content for the price equals a great deal, but I'm worried about about sound quality. According to AMG ( http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...=A39fuxql5ld0e ), since this box set was released, all of Led Zepplin's albums have been remastered. I was wondering what kind of sound quality difference there is in regards to remastered albums versus the box set (not remastered). Is it worth it to spring for the remastered albums in your opinion? Thanks in advance!

Mar 19, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 21
go for the box set with the full set of remasters, you won't be disappointed, otherwise you'll have to buy the lame second edition box set that came out later to get the rest of the songs they saw fit not to put in the first box set.

Mar 19, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
go for the box set with the full set of remasters, you won't be disappointed, otherwise you'll have to buy the lame second edition box set that came out later to get the rest of the songs they saw fit not to put in the first box set.

Thanks for the reply! Are you refering to this set? http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...=A44jteal14xs7 I wasn't aware that this complete set contained all the remasters, as I haven't seen that noted anywhere. Thanks again!

Mar 20, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by eyeteeth
Stay away from http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?...l=A39fuxql5ld0e it's mixed up track order will drive you nuts as it did me and it's incomplete.

Get the one fyrfytrhoges recommended as I did. It's complete and one cd per album with excellent reproduced art work.

Thanks! My only problem is that the box set would run me about $35 while the complete box set that fyrfytrhoges recommended would run me about $115. It's quite a significant difference in price, and truthfully, the regular box set has more than enough content to keep me happy. For $35, I think it's a good deal (even if the track order is all whacked out
tongue.gif
). I'm just concerned with the sound quality difference, if there is any.

Mar 20, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 21
I have this Led Zeppelin album:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846

It's a collection of live recordings. Quite good. The tempos are quicker and more lively than the studio recordings, although the quality isn't all that great. I highly reccommend it.

Mar 20, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #7 of 21
i would seriously wait if i were you, if you spend the 35$ now and just get what's on that set you'll only end up wondering down the road what you're missing. the box set i'm referring to (i haven't looked at your link, sorry) has every zeppelin album remastered and they sound great, look at it this way, if you wait, which i know is hard to do, you'll have everything that they put out and you'll never have to buy another zeppelin album again. unless you like them so much you have the urge to start buying bootlegs, which is a whole other story.

Mar 20, 2004 at 6:58 AM Post #8 of 21
Man, ive been meaning to pick up a Zeppelin box set for quite some time now...

Its on my to-do list though.

Mar 20, 2004 at 8:36 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
i would seriously wait if i were you, if you spend the 35$ now and just get what's on that set you'll only end up wondering down the road what you're missing. the box set i'm referring to (i haven't looked at your link, sorry) has every zeppelin album remastered and they sound great, look at it this way, if you wait, which i know is hard to do, you'll have everything that they put out and you'll never have to buy another zeppelin album again. unless you like them so much you have the urge to start buying bootlegs, which is a whole other story.

I honestly feel this is good advice. While I probably will not buy the complete box set right away due to the price issue, I think I'll be happiest with this decision in the long run. Thanks for the helpful suggestion!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 11:14 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by eyeteeth
Yes, it is a overpriced. It hurt buying it.
frown.gif

I just found it for $98 shipped online. It's a heck of a lot better looking at that price. I just joined the BMG "music club" and they want $150 for the set shipped.
eek.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 1:20 PM Post #12 of 21
you've made a wise decision my friend. not looking for a pat on the back, but i'm speaking from experience on this one, i have both sets, the first one was nice when it came out because it had "hey, hey, what can i do" and "travelling riverside blues" on it but for the most part that was it. if you want the full zeppelin experience, get the album boxset and be done with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back