Led Zeppelin: The Complete Studio Recordings
Dec 8, 2001 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
I got this box set as a gift, and it is one of the best box sets I've ever seen. From a presentation standpoint, it's superb. All nine studio albums are presented in their original form. Each includes original album artwork and historical notes. The cases are very attractive paperboard, and they fit into a nice box, which has a flip-open top (kind of like a vault
wink.gif
). There is also a nice book with band history, commentary by Cameron Crowe, and lots of pictures.

The best thing about the set is the SOUND -- talk about a surprise! I was floored when I put in Led Zeppelin II. The albums were all remastered, and they -- for lack of a better word -- rock. The CDs sure don't sound like they were recorded in the sixties and seventies. Lots of detail, imaging, soundstage, and slam. I was expecting the same compressed quality of the older CDs I had.

Highly recommended for Zep fans, or to anyone who has the money to blow and wants to learn about the band. I don't consider myself a hard-core Led Zeppelin fan, but I'm really enjoying this
wink.gif
They were so influential, and drew from so many different styles and sources, that this set is fascinating.

Dec 9, 2001 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 12
that's really cool. I look forward to any chance to get a good sounding classic rock cd.

It kind of sucks liking classic rock a lot because you get bad sounding cds just 'cause the music is so good.

Dec 9, 2001 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 12
It is quite the box set. Enjoy it, I sure do! Thank you Mr. Page for a *great* job!

Dec 9, 2001 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 12
Mac

I know the old saying never look a gift horse in the mouth, but personally I would buy individual remastered CDs and skip the last two Zep albums which are weak efforts, "in through out door"
and especially "coda" It is also disappointing that many non album
tracks were not also included to make a more complete set. I have also noticed that individual remastered CDs contain no "bonus" tracks as well.........a shame as many remastered CDs use the extra time on a CD to offer hard to find tracks from same recording session.

Regarding remasters from LP originals in general, since original album had 45 minutes or less of music and CD can hold almost 80 minutes it seems a real rip-off that no bonus tracks are included, most people are buying same album for the third time:
1 - original albums 1970s
2 - first CD releases 1980s
3 - remastered CDs 1990s
Page, Plant et al have should reward their long time fans with more complete remasters the third time around!

Dec 9, 2001 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 12
I would like to congratulate Macdef on receiving this precious gift
smily_headphones1.gif
. I love it too, but I only have the 2 other boxed sets (1990 set and its compliment). The sound on yours is much meatier than the first ones I must say. I couldn't help banging my head along with the tunes when I borrowed it. This latest set really does justice to John Bonham with a healthy mix on the drums. It just sounds right.

Gripes about the other sets: 4 disc set was thin sounding
2 disc set had a too wide stereo image for me.

Santa was really nice to you this year! Did I mention that I like Zeppelin by the way
tongue.gif
?

Dec 9, 2001 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 12
How bout the remasters set which had a interview cd (total of 3 cds). This was remastered back in the early 90's so i assume this is the inferior remasters your referring to?

George

Dec 9, 2001 at 7:56 PM Post #8 of 12
i have the first 4 disc set, the one with the crop circles etc. on the covers and the big booklet that comes in an lp-sized case. has anyone else noticed how forward the bass sounds, and how the bass seems "hot"? in other words, it is like the bass was set to too high a level and is distorting on most tracks. is this a problems from the source material (analog masters) or is it that jimmy page's hearing is so damaged he was overcompensating for low frequency hearing loss when he did this remaster?

dark angel:
i like "the dear john album" aka "in through the out door" and "coda". "coda" has got some great raw tracks and i like the chilly metal edge to the sound (i have it on lp). i agree about cd lengths and remasters: a 40 minute cd is a rip off no matter how you slice it. that's why i enjoy the most recent remaster of the who's "who's next" with all the "lifehouse" tracks and the srv remaster of "couldn't stand the weather" with like 8 new songs. this, like isolated soundtracks on dvd movies, should be mandatory.

Dec 10, 2001 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 12
Hello Gloco,

No, I don't have Zeppelin Remasters, your 3 disc set. I've got the original boxed set (only the discs
frown.gif
) and the 2 disc set that finishes that first one.

Redshifter,

I thought there wasn't enough gain on the 4 cd set. Wierd.
The bass is there but I can't really appreciate it on my gear.

Dec 11, 2001 at 7:41 PM Post #10 of 12
Gloco, I think maybe the three disc set (also has the crop circles on the cover, but comes in a case the size of two cds stacked length-wize) was a collection of "greatest hits" from the four cd set. Actually, the "Remasters" that you have (and that I have) really only really has two discs as the third is an interview disc. Right? I personally don't find any problem with the mastering of these cds. Who knows, maybe they wound up sounding different from the four CD set. The bass doesn't seem over modulated on my cds, no problem with the recording levels, and the top end is very sweet. All in all, I'd say its an excellent sounding set of recordings. I can't believe Page would put in numerous hours remastering all those songs and let the sound come out ****ed up, not to mention everyone at Sterling Sound in New York where it was mastered. Who knows, maybe the three cd set was the one to get...

Actually, now that I'm really studying it (I hadn't before) this may be a promo package! The third disc comes with Jimmy Page recording a bunch with station liners like "Hello, this Jimmy Page and you're listening to the station that made rock classic". "Hello, this is Jimmy Page. Keep your radio tuned right here." So Gloco, maybe you, (and I) have little gems!

Dec 11, 2001 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 12
zoboomofo-
it's not like the bass is too loud on the 4 disc box set, rather at some point it was recorded to hot. it has that breaking up quality to the sound of the bass. strange.

Dec 12, 2001 at 1:14 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
Gloco, I think maybe the three disc set (also has the crop circles on the cover, but comes in a case the size of two cds stacked length-wize) was a collection of "greatest hits" from the four cd set. Actually, the "Remasters" that you have (and that I have) really only really has two discs as the third is an interview disc. Right? I personally don't find any problem with the mastering of these cds. Who knows, maybe they wound up sounding different from the four CD set. The bass doesn't seem over modulated on my cds, no problem with the recording levels, and the top end is very sweet. All in all, I'd say its an excellent sounding set of recordings. I can't believe Page would put in numerous hours remastering all those songs and let the sound come out ****ed up, not to mention everyone at Sterling Sound in New York where it was mastered. Who knows, maybe the three cd set was the one to get...

Actually, now that I'm really studying it (I hadn't before) this may be a promo package! The third disc comes with Jimmy Page recording a bunch with station liners like "Hello, this Jimmy Page and you're listening to the station that made rock classic". "Hello, this is Jimmy Page. Keep your radio tuned right here." So Gloco, maybe you, (and I) have little gems!

HeHe, yup thats the one i have and my interview disc is the same...which i actually found odd...i was like, where the hell is the interview? LOL. It does sound good, but i was curious to know if the 4CD box set mentioned above is the same as this remasters set...which is great by the way!
smily_headphones1.gif

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back