Led Zeppelin & Strange Sound
Mar 8, 2004 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

NeilPeart

Headphoneus Supremus
Everyone break out your worn-out Led Zeppelin IV album or "Zoso" as some people (incorrectly) call it. "You can be, and are wrong." I had to throw a bit of Hi-Fidelity humor in there!
wink.gif
Okay, Listen to the last track on the album, "When the Levee Breaks," and pay special attention to Bonzo's hi-hat on the right channel. At approximately 1:36, the hi-hat is seemingly replaced (or obscured) by an odd noise that resembles a match being struck (that what it sounds like to me). Can anyone confirm what that sound is? I've listened to the CD, record and tape with every headphone at my disposal (including the Ety and HP2 microscopes) and I can't identify the sound. I know this sounds incredibly nerdy and pathetic, but I cannot stop thinking about this sound. Can a fellow Zeppelin nut help me out, please?
confused.gif

Mar 8, 2004 at 10:27 AM Post #3 of 8
Interesting. This sound seems to break through the soundstage to me, right in my ear while the hi-hat sounds more equal in distance to the rest of the band. Like, if he had grabbed a brush and hit the snare drum, it would have been somewhat softer than the hi-hat , but this seems louder and closer (also higher pitch). To me it sounds like someone else took a cabasa (or similar latin percussion) and gave it a good hard turn right up against the mic.

Could be a lot of things though.

Mar 8, 2004 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 8
I've heard that for years and thought there is slight damage to the master tape (these things happen), as the most recent remastering has the high-hat increase in volume for a second, while the previous remaster had more of a smudged, blurred sound. I can't remember hearing it with the awful, cheap gear we had on the original vinyl way back in the old days. I'd like to listen to this though on decent gear, and maybe I will soon
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2004 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 8
While you have Led Zep 4 out........... take CD booklet or album and open to illustration of Gandalf on mountain top overlooking village below.........place edge with mountain against mirror and hold at right angle so reflected image combined with original reveals the hidden dragon
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 8, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
place edge with mountain against mirror and hold at right angle so reflected image combined with original reveals the hidden dragon
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dragon's face straight on? BTW I still can't get my CDP to play Stairway in reverse and hear "my sweet Satan".
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 8, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 8
Its there!. Some DJs on my high school radio station played that backwords and used it as their show's promo. A couple of stoners saying something like

Dude 1 - "Dude did he just say Heres to my sweet Satan?"
Dude 2 - " No dude he said listen to adam and joe on WPAA ..."
Dude 1 - "Duuuude"

And then another Led Zep song taking them out.
It was like something out of an SNL skit. I wish I had a tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back