Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven (5:45-5:50)
Dec 30, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #17 of 29
I just wonder how many of us are going to have "Stairway to Heaven" listed on our Last.fm accounts tonight from this thread?

Sorry, no "buzzing" or "cracking," but I hear a slight amount of static that changes from left to right which is probably misc. distortion from the pickups when recorded.

...now back to The Roots. 
o2smile.gif

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #19 of 29
Ive heard that for a long time, on various cuts. It occurred shortly after I started buying quality equipment. Damn shame too.

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #20 of 29
I guess all tracks have at least one defect in them.....I have the Gold CD of the "Bad Company" album mastered by Steve Hoffman, and I noticed a small defect in that recording....I asked on the online board at  www.stevehoffman.tv if anyone else noticed it, and my posting was quickly deleted by their moderator.

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #21 of 29
I don't see it as a defect.  Today's modern music is so overly produced and Protools-tweaked that it's completely void of the irregularities that made older-analog recordings sound "alive."  

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #22 of 29
I picked up B&W P5 few weeks ago (after recently posting this thread) I needed to check if I could hear the "distortion" on this headphone. Yes it is still there.. I was kind of surprised to hear it.. although it is not as apparent as Q701. Anyways I thought I should report back.

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #24 of 29
sorry to resurrect this old thread, but much has happened with the jimmy page remasters

the better the source and the sharper the gear, the more you can hear it... recording gear at its limits trying to capture jimmy with his amp gained up to the max...

I have the HD Audio rips that jimmy remastered due to the advances in tech as original mastering gear was horrible... back in the days when there was a fair argument vinyl sounded better than cd...

the HD rip of stairway is 185meg and sounds incredible. the detail in everything astounds, all the background noises and echos... but the crackle is worst on this rip... it's so detailed you can hear his nail or pick clipping the pickups causing microphonics.

I'm used to it now and I'm happy with the trade-off...

there's a couple of youtube vids where he talks about the new remasters and also HD audio and compilation discs with alternate mixes... I'll link when I find them...

btw, I play the FLAC and HD through a FIIO headphone DAC to a valve amp and Krix Equinox speakers. Also an iPhone 4 through a CMoyBB to a pair of Sennheiser HD590. The fuzzy crackling distortion is there no matter what...

I honestly think it's the amp distorted... if it were a big marshall, it wouldn't distort that way with the gain dialled up, but he may have been using a vox or orange amp for the recordings at Hedley Grange.

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #25 of 29
Phew!  Was worried my headphones were cooked lol.

I hear this on both the originals and the 1994 remasters.  Had to google it and happy to see others noticed it!   Very apparent static with Fostex TH-X00.  

Dec 8, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #26 of 29
Just came across this thread...been trying out new headphones: HP151, HPH-MT8 and the DT770 80ohm...straight off the headphone jack on my dell desktop computer with integrated RealTek audio card. Thought I was going crazy...thankfully but unfortunately not. Can hear it on all three sets of headphones...although the HP151 is by far the clearest. Didn't notice it at first with the MT8s but after I knew what I was looking for it was there. DT770 not too far behind HP151.

I've now also heard from 7 different sources (all of them) ...only one I haven't tested it on yet is the version I first heard the song from...my brothers Vinyl (on my Dad's stereo setup in 1982 - I'll never forget that day/moment). So probably a 1978-1980 pressing.

The 2014 Remaster seems to have it the loudest/clearest imo.

Sep 23, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #27 of 29
I have been testing out the Amazon 'Ultra HD' for fun because I got it for free for a few months. I actually came across this thread looking this up because it was so bad toward the end of this song on Amazon's ultra HD setting. However, I am not picking this up on any other song off this album. So there is something odd happening there!

I have only tested with one source, so I will test out some others as well and see if there is anything I can find.

Jan 24, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #28 of 29
Thank God this thread exists. Thought I was going nuts and my autism got the better of me.
I started googling this when listening the Spotify remaster on my Sennheiser HD 595 via my Node 2 Bluesound. In the right channel it is clearly noticeable. Very annoying. Almost sounds like a broken headphone.

It's even audible in other parts at the end of the track.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #29 of 29
Very apparent to me. Hear it clear as day on the right channel on IV & x Led Zep, not quite as clear on mothership (cd and vinyl) but still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back