Led Zeppelin Recording Quality
May 9, 2007 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

fiz

Head-Fier
Is it just not there in the first place? I have two boxed sets of their stuff along with various other remastered albums and I am very unimpressed with their recording quality. I love their music so it is bearable but what are some of your guys opinions of their recording quality? Are there any copies of their albums that are known to sound good (without clipping of Plant's voice, etc), or am I out of luck?

May 9, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 26
Go back to the original unremastered versions, they sound better. That said, there's one major artist's catalogue that really needs the Steve Hoffman or Mobile Fidelity touch.

May 9, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 26
I stand by the FIRST to CD. The first publications of whatever were mostly un-messed with at least from what I've heard. My copy of Led Zepp 2 (which I have since lost) sounded much closer to what I remember of the vinyl than the box sets. But it's been a few years.

May 10, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 26
"How The West Was Won" sounds good to me

May 12, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #9 of 26
The Crop Circle box set sounds about the best to me.
Jimmy Page was involved with the remastering, he was happy
with the outcome
wink.gif

JD
eggosmile.gif

May 12, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #10 of 26
The best versions to get are the mofi test pressings of all the albums. Good luck.
wink.gif

May 12, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

The Crop Circle box set sounds about the best to me.
Jimmy Page was involved with the remastering, he was happy
with the outcome

Yes, but he probably has very little hearing left after playing at 120db blaring into his ear drums for 30 years. Most people really dislike the remasters he was involved in. IMO, the original CDs sound better.

Quote:

The West German Targets sound great (and don't go for over a thousand bucks

Yes, these are fine (around $50-$60 each), but it's the same mastering as the the rest of the subsequent unremastered versions. Still, I recommend getting better quuality early pressings such as the targets.

May 12, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #14 of 26
Led Zep is over rated. Don't get me wrong they had some talent, it's just who wants to listen to some dude whine about squeezing his lemmons, and Dungeons and Dragons all album?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back