Led Zeppelin DVD
Aug 7, 2006 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ComfyCan

500+ Head-Fier
I've been on another concert DVD kick (hence the "Pulse" post earlier).

Anyway, I reluctantly picked up "Led Zeppelin DVD", which is a 2 disc set, for about $20 this morning. I have been uniformly disappointed with the sound quality of all Zeppelin CD's compared to their vinyl predecessors, including the DVD-A "How the West Was Won." Their other video, the movie "The Song Remains the Same," is amusing but not that great either visually, or from a sound quality standpoint.

This one, however, is really excellant if you're old enough to remember Zeppelin's unreal live performances, or young enough that you missed the boat and really want to see what it was all about.

The video quality goes from mediocre to excellant, but it's all in context. You see old black & white footage from Europe in '69, and a hilarious performance Zep did on a French variety show in front of a bunch of stunned middle aged folk. The band was tortured by horrible TV studio audio capabilities, and you see Plant using his voice to fill in effects that are supposed to be coming from Page's guitar. Page even did the violin trick in Dazed & Confused, which aptly describes the looks on the faces of the studio audience.

The DVD moves forward in time with footage from a number of killer concerts from the 70's, with other interesting extras tossed in to boot. They even throw in some bootleg video here and there to give further perspective to the shows. You see the band gain confidence and stage presence over time, right before your eyes.

Before picking up this DVD, I was basically "burned out" on Zeppelin, which was easily my favorite band for many years as a teen. I simply listened to it too long, and too often. CD's failed to bring back the magic.

Well, this set brings it all back.

I highly reccomend it. Grab your Grado's and jump on in.

Aug 7, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 4
i have seen this a few times too, its definately worth checking out. i never realized how feminine Plant was on stage, i also never realized how much of a true rock star Page was in his prime. that matador jacket was it, ive never seen anything as cool as that, ever.

Aug 15, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 4
I love the fact that they included a LPCM track. I do believe these are the best digital mixed/mastered recordings we have of zeppelin.

I agree the studio CD"s are missing Bonzo's punch and attack. One day they will be remixed/mastered to where you can feel Bonzo's power.

Aug 15, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 4
Also you mentioned the HTWWW DVD-A. You must have bass management on your reciever to listen to this, the engineer had very little on the sub channel. I much prefered the CD version until I got a H/K 7200 which does bass management on DVD-A's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back