Leben or Cary 300SEI -- how much heat for a bedroom based system?
Jun 15, 2011 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rgs9200m

Headphoneus Supremus
Some here have either the Leben (300 I assume) or the Cary amps for headphones and speakers.
I was looking to do the same thing in a corner of my bedroom, maybe with some small monitor speakers like
Proac Tablettes or 1SCs.

How much heat do these give off? A regular tube headphone amp here is just fine
(like an RSA B52), but I was worried that these integrated ones would throw off too much heat.

Any other suggestions for small integrated amps are also welcome.
Thank you.

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 3
I actually used a Cary SLI 80 F1 in a rack system (which would trap heat more than an open shelf unit).  Even in the rack system, the Cary got warm (the shelf 14 inches above where the amp sat was warm to the touch), but not unbearably warm by any means and I live in South Florida!  Look at the power the speakers are going to require and check the power output ability of the amp as that is an important factor to consider when thinking about integrateds.  The SLI 80 has power and some.....

I also think another tremendous value is the Decware stuff.  You could get the CSP2+ for the headphone amp/preamp and the matching amp (sorry I don't remember the model offhand) for roughly $2000 (or less) but again you need to look at the power rating of the speakers.

You could also consider a solid state amp and then get a preamp with the headphone out (tube or not) in it depending on your space constraints. You may get the best of both worlds with not much more room taken up then a large integrated.  Your budget would be helpful, but let's suppose you are in the $3000.00 range (Leben or Cary integrateds).  You could pick up a used Classe CA series amp (tremendous value for the money) at around $1500 used and then get a WOO Audio WA2 at around $1000 bucks and stil have $500 left over (there are numerous combinations in this price range).  The separates route also allows you to switch out components if you wish down the road.

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for all that info! Lots of food for thought. I appreciate it.
I need to get little speakers too. I was just thinking of little Harbeth montors.
Thanks again.
Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back