Leaving Schiit Jotunheim on for long period of time
Feb 26, 2017 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jamjkv

New Head-Fier
I tend to forget to turn off my Schiit Jotunheim after listening to music. Sometimes it can be on for over 24 hours. I noticed it's getting quite hot when on for over 4-5 hours. Is it a problem? Will it shorten the life of my amp?
thanks

Feb 26, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 8
Many users actually recommend leaving the Jot on 24/7. It will get warm but shouldn't be getting really hot.

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 8
Good to know! I really thought leaving it on would be bad for the electronics and would cause more wear then usual.
Is it the opposite then where constant power cycle will cause more damage?

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 8
Good to know! I really thought leaving it on would be bad for the electronics and would cause more wear then usual.
Is it the opposite then where constant power cycle will cause more damage?
I have a Schiit Yggdrasil and it is recommended by Schiit to never turn it off and after a year it has been off for maybe three weeks total so I think your fine. I think it has more to do with thermal equilibrium than worrying about parts wearing out. I have 30 + year old solid state gear that is running just fine so don't worry yourself about it.

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 8
The Owners manual's FAQ actually says you can leave it on all the time..

But mine gets up to 105*F.
And I'm paranoid, so I shut it down when I don't need it

But, it never goes over 105*F even at  Max volume,high gain,balanced into 50ohms (so 3000mw).

So 105*F in probably the thermal equilibrium.

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 8
  The Owners manual's FAQ actually says you can leave it on all the time..

But mine gets up to 105*F.
And I'm paranoid, so I shut it down when I don't need it

But, it never goes over 105*F even at  Max volume,high gain,balanced into 50ohms (so 3000mw).

So 105*F in probably the thermal equilibrium.

Nothing to worry about. After all, it is only 6.4*F warmer then you.
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 8
Most Schiit stuff runs hot as the case is used as a heatsink versus fans and such to eliminate noise being introduced. It could be that turning it off and could actually be worse for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back