Leaving Crossfeed
Jul 7, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 32
Yes, it's kind of painful just turning the crossfeed off now. Apparently most get along just fine without it though. Hmmm.

Jul 7, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #3 of 32
Most people also have never tried it. I'm of the purist audio type, thinking it's just another part of the electronics to degrade the signal. But now I really like having the crossfeed on.

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #6 of 32
personally, i have no use for crossfeed. fortunately my little brain is not bothered by distinct left/right channel seperation. in fact, i prefer it. i tried crossfeed after many years of listening to headphone before i ever heard of the crossfeed concept. i was intrigued by it & gave it the old college try but found it comparable to a monophonic blending switch on a stereo recording. i have amps with crossfeed but never use the feature anymore. i think it detracts from the stereo seperation which is what i like about stereo & i find the soundfield processing a bit unnatural. but that's me. if you have a blobs problem & it sounds good to you then you should, by all means, go for it. it is used in amps because a great many people have headphone listening problems without it & it makes headphone listening enjoyable for those that require it. having the option is a plus.

Jul 7, 2005 at 9:54 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
Has anyone used the "Crossfeed" for an extended amount of time and found it hard to use another amp without this feature?

Can't go without it.

Jul 7, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #9 of 32
IMO crossfeed is a necessity for many recordings as they are clearly much less enjoyable without it.

Jul 7, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #10 of 32
With crossfeed I can finish listening to the whole CARMEN, Georges Bizet 3 CDs at one time. Thus, amp of my choice are only Headroom or Corda. I have Headroom Total Airhead and my new Prehead MKII SE.

Jul 9, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 32
Confirmed crossfeed user here. Bought a HeadRoom Home in 1994 specifically for its image processor and can't live without it.

I listen mostly to classical music and find great benefit from crossfeed with the type of music that many consider not to "need" it - well-recorded full orchestral pieces. The HeadRoom crossfeed restores the sense of depth that the "ears in separate rooms" effect of headphones sucks out of quality recordings. After years of use, if I flick the crossfeed switch off the headstage collapses - becomes flat and sounds definitely "not right" to my brain. Not unlike the visual effect of closing one eye.

I posted further thoughts here a while back.

Best,
Beau

Jul 9, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #12 of 32
I havent tried cf out for a demo long enough to know much about if I would like it.

Darius at the last Chi meet explained it as a way of listening longer without fatigue, and to me thats sounds about rite of what it should do.

Without Cf seems to be mor l/r detail, with it seems to be less fatigue..kind of like the balance we think of with silver cables for detail and the copper for warmth...

which ever you prefer its good for one reason or another.

I was thinking of trying out Pinkys cf box sometime..hehe

Jul 9, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #13 of 32
don't you guys get annoyed by the bad effects that crossfeed gives? It makes the bass less defined and makes the sound messier to me. I only like it for those recordings that make you feel deaf in one ear because of the Hardcore left/right panning used.

Jul 9, 2005 at 11:37 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauregard
Confirmed crossfeed user here. Bought a HeadRoom Home in 1994 specifically for its image processor and can't live without it.

I listen mostly to classical music and find great benefit from crossfeed with the type of music that many consider not to "need" it - well-recorded full orchestral pieces. The HeadRoom crossfeed restores the sense of depth that the "ears in separate rooms" effect of headphones sucks out of quality recordings. After years of use, if I flick the crossfeed switch off the headstage collapses - becomes flat and sounds definitely "not right" to my brain. Not unlike the visual effect of closing one eye.

I posted further thoughts here a while back.

Best,
Beau

This is what I experience when I switch my crossfeed off. But I wonder if the crossfeed circuit, when turned off, inadvertently impedes the audio signal to make it sound flat and boring.

Jul 9, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #15 of 32
I don't need crossfeed . . . . .
my brain is cross-wired
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back