Leather pads for HD650?
Sep 16, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #16 of 46
personally, this is just my opinion.

I don't think the people at sennheiser are dumb people. When they are developing a product at even the level as the hd650s, I think they have materials such as leather and various plastics at their disposable and I am willing to bet that they made the headphones the way they are stock for a reason. There is probably a reason the foam is there, and there probably is a reason why they made the ear cups the way they are. Sure you can mod it and say that its better but then you're basically saying that your one opinion is better is than possibly thousands of R&D testers and the conclusion of the developers. Preference is one thing but it only goes a certain distance until its just absurd. The craziest thing is when people outfit hd650s with those wood grill covers... Like wth?

but then again I haven't heard the other side so just my 2c

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #17 of 46
You are probably right. However, the HE60's come with some fake leather so they would benefit from real leather in looks and durability. Sadly there are not that much around so if we can get a combined leather pad and some interest from HD600/650 users that would be wonderful. And since there is some market for those silly wood grills I'm sure there will be some people that want to try leather.

Sep 16, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #21 of 46
JMoney is willing to do the leather pads.
I created an 'official' dedicated Leatherpad run sign-up thread here

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #22 of 46
Like some others here, I'd be worried about the change to the inherent sound of the HD650 with different pads. Although, leather would definitely be nice from a comfort standpoint.

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #23 of 46
Like so many members I always wondered about pleather or leather but more likely pleather pads for the HD650's (same thing for 600's).

Well I recently ordered new pads for my 650's and thought to myself - why not cannibalize the old ones for the two plastic rings (there are two and you need them both) in the old velour pads. Scissors will be necessary.

So I did it and already had a pair of Good old Brainwavz HM% ear pads in both pleather and velour. I got the Sennheiser inside the HM5's easily and then installed both pairs.

I heard no difference - now I am one of those guys who just does not 'get' this veil thing with the 650's - mine sound like a less capable version on my LCD's.

Bottom line is the drivers are a lot further away from your ears and the pleather is so comfortable - and I heard zero difference in sound other than the bass is more pronounced and solid - its together and has remarkable slam.

The HM5's cost me $27 CDN so nothing in other words :) and the improvement in comfort and sound is great - and they are memory foam.

So that's how I spent all of 1/2 hour on snowy (the first) December afternoon.

P.S. my Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs are my favourite with the LCD's a close second and a very close third are the 650's I must have a great pair and yes I do have the newest drivers - the silvery ones.

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #24 of 46
  Like so many members I always wondered about pleather or leather but more likely pleather pads for the HD650's (same thing for 600's).

Well I recently ordered new pads for my 650's and thought to myself - why not cannibalize the old ones for the two plastic rings (there are two and you need them both) in the old velour pads. Scissors will be necessary.

So I did it and already had a pair of Good old Brainwavz HM% ear pads in both pleather and velour. I got the Sennheiser inside the HM5's easily and then installed both pairs.

I heard no difference - now I am one of those guys who just does not 'get' this veil thing with the 650's - mine sound like a less capable version on my LCD's.

Bottom line is the drivers are a lot further away from your ears and the pleather is so comfortable - and I heard zero difference in sound other than the bass is more pronounced and solid - its together and has remarkable slam.

The HM5's cost me $27 CDN so nothing in other words :) and the improvement in comfort and sound is great - and they are memory foam.

P.S. my Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs are my favourite with the LCD's a close second and a very close third are the 650's I must have a great pair and yes I do have the newest drivers - the silvery ones.

link to the replacement HM5 pleather earpads

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #25 of 46
I purchased a set of velour pads for my M50x & it changed the sound dramatically compared to the stock pleather pads. With the velour pads I lost a lot of mid/bass slam, however they did have more "air" to them. It was more of a side step than an improvement. Like two different flavors. I say give leather pads a try & see what you think, can't hurt your wallet too bad for the chance :)

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #26 of 46

Thank you for posting your experiment & results. I have been curious of trying leather pads on my HD600s. Now I have an idea of how to go about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back