Leather Pads for HD650
Aug 3, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #16 of 37
Well, I've heard lots about how the Genuine Leather pads for the high end Beyers boost the bass a lot, but also scoop out the mids. Most people say they prefer the velour sound.

Aug 3, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #17 of 37
Leather might not be ideal, but ultrasuede would be nicer than the velour. I have a pair of Sony MDF-F1 that are sonically so-so, but extremely comfortable to wear in part due to their "Ecsaine" pads, a synthetic suede-like microfiber material made by Toray.

Aug 3, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #19 of 37
Almost everybody mentioned price as a concern, though to be brutally honest, almost everybody would fork over $30 for a pair of flat pads for their higher end Grados (which are in the same price range as the 650), and those are just foam pads. Bottom line is sound improvement. I say make it, price it high (~$50), claim to de-veil the 650 and improve bass response on the 580/600, people will buy. Price is not the issue, think after-market cables.

I also think there is a huge demand for more comfortable Grado pads, and if you can get more bass out of them (essentially what the flats do) AND make them more comfortable (the bar is set pretty low here), everybody with a pair of SR325, RS1/2, MS2i will be scrambling for a pair.

Aug 3, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by islewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the kind of information I'm looking for - could you tell me what phones you tried it with? Any open ones? And what specifically did it do to the sound? Thanks!

I gave a listen to the DT880 with leather pads and it sounded very tipped toward the bottom and and very boomy. I also tried the k240 sextett and it sounded very boomy as well, and had a very hollow and pipe-like feeling to the sound.

Aug 3, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #22 of 37
I wouldn't necessarily assume that it will make either positive or negative changes to the sound (especially based on experience with the changes heard in other cans). You really never know until you try.

Having said that, after having the chance to try out the HE90s recently, I think I would love to have leather pads on my HD600s.

Aug 4, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #23 of 37
Did somebody say LEATHER?

robhalford2.jpg

Aug 7, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having said that, after having the chance to try out the HE90s recently, I think I would love to have leather pads on my HD600s.

Why that's an idea. Replica HE90 pads. I'm IN.
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Almost everybody mentioned price as a concern, though to be brutally honest, almost everybody would fork over $30 for a pair of flat pads for their higher end Grados (which are in the same price range as the 650), and those are just foam pads. Bottom line is sound improvement. I say make it, price it high (~$50), claim to de-veil the 650 and improve bass response on the 580/600, people will buy. Price is not the issue, think after-market cables.

I also think there is a huge demand for more comfortable Grado pads, and if you can get more bass out of them (essentially what the flats do) AND make them more comfortable (the bar is set pretty low here), everybody with a pair of SR325, RS1/2, MS2i will be scrambling for a pair.

I expect to have to fork out more than AUD$80 for a pair of Senn pads here. That's quite a lot more than any Grado pads (except of course the C-pads). With that in mind, $50 for a pair of leather pads is well within my acceptable price range.

Aug 7, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #26 of 37
Try it, but they have to be soft or the dampening effects will not be sufficient and you will be looking at a bass-hump monstroucity. Treble should not be affected really, treble is influenced by completely other factors.

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try it, but they have to be soft or the dampening effects will not be sufficient and you will be looking at a bass-hump monstroucity. Treble should not be affected really, treble is influenced by completely other factors.

Good suggestion, I am going to see about actually getting into the prototype phase. For those who know the HE90, what are those pads covered with specifically? Calfskin? Goatskin? something else?

Aug 12, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be in if the price wasn't ridiculous. Make some leather pads for my HD25-1's while you're at it.
wink.gif
Pleather sucks and velours get dirty while traveling.

x2

Aug 12, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #30 of 37
I gotta be honest, I think I prefer pleather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back