Leather conditioner for ear pads?
Mar 24, 2021 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dikliu

New Head-Fier
Do leather earpads need a leather conditioner to prolong their longevity? I emailed a reputable earpads company which of their two earpads - real leather or synthetic leather - last longer. They replied that synthetic leather does because real leather requires maintenance to keep it from drying and cracking. I assume that by maintenance, the company meant leather conditioning. Months later, I email the company again to ask how often their leather earpads require leather conditioning with oil. This time, they replied that they don't think the leather earpads require conditioning with oil.

I know that I probably wasn't asking the question with the right phrasing. But, what are your thoughts on this?

Mar 28, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #2 of 3
There are so many variables. It depends upon how the leather had been treated/tanned and if there has been any coatings applied. One will never know. I treat it similarly to automatic leather which means I leave it well alone. Over-treated or treated incorrectly, leather can prematurely soften and the fibres weaken.

To be honest, you could probably just use what you used to moisturise your hands. Or an gentle automotive conditioner - I'd probably use Zaino Z-10 sprayed onto your hands and rubbed in smells divine.

However, I've never treated a pair of leather pads. I simply ensure I don't wear my headphones if my head is wet or sweaty and wipe then dry with a microfibre if I have to.

Pads are easily replaceable (usually) -> I hear the LCD-4 pads are now glued ...

Mar 28, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks. I was perplexed as the company sells fenestrated leather earpads. I couldn't see how the leather could be conditioned without the conditioner seeping into the foam.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back