Leather case for 5G ipod
Feb 23, 2007 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Hatmann

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone found a good leather case for the current ipods?
Something with good protection and can be clipped to a belt.

xtrememac had a fine leather case for the 4g ipod and initially offered a similar model for the 5g, but seems to have pulled that off of its site.

thanks,
- hatmann

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 24
I heard over time that Vaja cases screw up your iPod with these strange blemishes and whatnot...I think I heard about it over at iLounge. Worth checking the claims out, esp. since you're paying that much for a case in the first place.

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard over time that Vaja cases screw up your iPod with these strange blemishes and whatnot...I think I heard about it over at iLounge. Worth checking the claims out, esp. since you're paying that much for a case in the first place.

Well, could you provide a link? I have used an iVolution case with my 3G for years, and it's been in and out of it a lot. Of course, if you allow for dirt to build up inside the case, or insert a dirty iPod into the case, it will likely get scratched up, as it will with any tight slip-on case. Debris are the enemy, there is no denying. Nevertheless, I did not take much care in that regard, yet after hundreds of insertions/removals, there is no significant damage to be seen. There are very, very light stripes across the surface, none of which would deserve to be called "scratch", a considerable cosmetical issue, or even having any impact on screen-legibility. No way. I would bet this is to be considered part of the general iPod-scratch-paranoia. If you want your iPod to stay in 100% like new conditon, do not unpack it. Ever. If the very light impact that the use of an iVolution case will over years have on your iPod bothers you, pick up a scratch removal kit and give it a once over once a year. Or, even better, pick up the dock extender from SendStation and thereby reduce your need to remove the iPod from the case.

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depending on your budget, you want to look at what Vaja has on offer. Pricey, but well worth it.

X2 Vaja Cases are beautiful, and smell lovely too

Feb 24, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 24
Hmmmm.....no other leather cases out there with good protection for the current ipods?

Feb 24, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone found a good leather case for the current ipods?
Something with good protection and can be clipped to a belt.

xtrememac had a fine leather case for the 4g ipod and initially offered a similar model for the 5g, but seems to have pulled that off of its site.

thanks,
- hatmann

I bought a Sena case for my iPod and I've been very pleased with it. The final clincher for me was that its dockable.

http://www.senacases.com/catalog/iPOD-Video-Dockable-60GB-80GB-p-1-c-372.html

Percy

Feb 24, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver
I would bet this is to be considered part of the general iPod-scratch-paranoia. If you want your iPod to stay in 100% like new condition, do not unpack it. Ever...

Truer words were never typed!

Rick

Feb 24, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #13 of 24
Oliver: dock extender? Migfht have to look into that. My Vaja/Moon Audio Silver Dragon combo will not work---the Silver Dragon's dock is too large to fit into the Vaja opening. Maybe the dock extender is the answer.

And go on ebay , guys. That's where I found my $100 Vaja case for under $50. Perfect, in-box condition.

Feb 25, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #14 of 24
I shopped at the local Apple store and told them what I want:
A black leather case with good protection and a belt clip for a 5.5g, 80 gig ipod.

The sales clerk, who was about 18, looked at me like I was crazy.

Said the manager: "We don't carry anything like that. Everything we have is for 20-somethings and they aren't interested in stuff like that.

There were plenty of such cases for the 4g ipod -- I own one: a fine case from xtrememac.

But not for the 5g. I checked ilounge, and unless I'm missing something, I am unable to find a black leather case with a clip for a 5.5g ipod that ilounge rates highly for protection.

So I'll ask one more time here at Headfi:

Can anyone recommend such a case?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-- Hatmann

Users who are viewing this thread

Back