least noisy jack, good SQ DAP
Aug 13, 2008 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

shleepy

100+ Head-Fier
I recently got Westone UM2's, and have decided that my old 30Gb iPod Video (G5, is it?) finally needs to be replaced; it's got problems, and it has lots of hissing when used with the UM2's (though it still sounds good).

Even before I got the UM2's, I was thinking about at least upgrading to a 160Gb iPod Classic. However, I doubt that the jack is that much less noisy, and I bet the SQ is the same. Is my logic correct?

Even without all that space, what are some good options for a DAP to use with Westone UM2 without an amp (dunno how wise that is, but whatever)? As I say, the main requirement is a quiet jack and good sound quality.

I don't particularly need anything fancy (don't need video, wifi, radio, or playback of anything other than mp3's), but good battery life would be nice, and a relatively thin DAP is a must. As for space - I would need 30+Gb, and the bigger, the better. If it can accept flash cards, then I can always put in a pricey 32Gb one or something, so I'm even OK with that.

Recommendations, anyone?
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 7
Aug 13, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 7
Aug 14, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 7
Head-Direct.com 25$ to plus shipping. looking in dowin cables. won't get rid of all noise with um2 but most of it

the classic hisses much less than the 3rd gen. it hisses similarly to the 3rd gen nano. (about same as d2) which is quite in the good section for hissing. but with um2, anything with an amp rather than an attenuated line out will hiss

Aug 14, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-Direct.com 25$ to plus shipping. looking in dowin cables. won't get rid of all noise with um2 but most of it

I don't see an adapter or anything in there... unless one of the cables includes a resistor, but I don't see any mentions of resistors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back