Learning to listen
Aug 21, 2005 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

osoucy

Head-Fier
Hi Guys

I'm somehow new to the fantastic worl of headphone and high-end audio. I currently own a decent pair of cans (ER6-i) and I really enjoy them.

Nonetheless, I would like to become more critical and learn how to describe a pair of headphone and to discover every subtilities in the music.

Any of you have any tips on what I should do to become more critical.
Maybe some examples of songs where I should notice some detail, well I don't really know.

I just want some advices on how to appreciate good headpones.

Thank you

Aug 21, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 24
Just listen to your setup and read as much as you can. It'll slowly sink in over time. I've found out that you can't force a lot of things in this hobby, you just have to take your time...

Don't worry my young paduan, you'll learn
cool.gif

Aug 21, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 24
I suppose I have good hearing, as I kinda forced myself to listen to things critically when I played the violin.

However, listening to headphones is a different story. Many high-end headphones sound good to me in their respective ways. (I can be satisfied with just the MS-1 without desiring to upgrade to the RS-1). This is because I get carried away with the music and just fall in love with the music, rather than actively try to criticize and analyze the actual sound of the headphones/source/amp etc. This helps block upgraditis bugs, because I can be satisfied with my headphones and my music. When I try to analyze the actual sound of equipment, I get distracted from the music I'm listening to, and IMO that is not enjoyable.

My advice is to not worry about criticizing audio equipment but to just have fun with your music, which is the main purpose of audio anyway. If you already enjoy the ER-6i then you already know how to appreciate good headphones.

Aug 21, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 24
I don't think I have an all-rounded critical listening skill myself. Unless the equipment has some prominent differrence in sound signature, it often took me time to tell the differences.

I would say audition equipments with musics that you are familiar with. You might think the music you listen to is not detailed/has bad recording. But ultimately, you assemble the equipments to enjoy your music.

Best of luck,
Overlunge

Aug 21, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by osoucy

I just want some advices on how to appreciate good headpones.

Thank you

When you find out please shoot me a PM. I could do with all the advice
rs1smile.gif

Aug 21, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #8 of 24
Sit back, relax and ENJOY THE MUSIC (atleast thats how I rationalize all this expensive equipment)

seriously, just get comfy and drift off for a an hour (or three)

Aug 21, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #9 of 24
Listen to live acoustic music and compare the sound of it to recordings of acoustic music. Learn the terminology that describes certain types of sounds... don't just use imprecise visual or conceptual analogies. Listen to as many different good systems as you can and compare them to each other and to the sound of live acoustic music.

That's my advice.

See ya
Steve

Aug 21, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Listen to live acoustic music and compare the sound of it to recordings of acoustic music. Learn the terminology that describes certain types of sounds... don't just use imprecise visual or conceptual analogies. Listen to as many different good systems as you can and compare them to each other and to the sound of live acoustic music.

That's my advice.

See ya
Steve

I love live accoustic material. Not for analytical purposes but more for relaxation and atmosphere.

Aug 21, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot

That's my advice.

See ya
Steve

This is great advice if you want your music to sound as close to the real thing as possible.

However, sometimes I prefer coloration in my sound, simply because it makes the music more enjoyable and listenable TO ME. I'm not a member of Team Fuzzy Fuzz's Fuzzbox without a reason!

These are two paths in audio reproduction, both equally valid and up to your personal preference.

Aug 21, 2005 at 8:39 AM Post #12 of 24
I would suggest that when you listen to music, try to focus on different instruments each time around. I started listening to more complex music in college, first jazz, then prog rock, then classical.

The classical I started to listen to because I figured, "this is some of the most painstakingly crafted music ever, right? So 'wow' me." Second, I have slight tinnitus that I only notice in very quiet rooms or when plugging my ears, but it still concerned me. I figured classical isn't something you exactly blast out the windows (well - sometimes) so it should be kind to my hearing.

Anyway, my point is to pick up something complicated like baroque, jazz, or gamelan music. Focus on hearing the individual instruments as opposed to just power chords or phat beats. Live jazz is great since they improvise on themes and every member gets a chance to solo. Plus you're seeing it too, so it'll be hard not to notice as the non-soloists play backing vamps.

First time I saw Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 in concert, I discovered the oboe solo of the first movement. I had only heard the symphony a few times in the car or on my work computer, so I wasn't in a setting to have previously noticed this important quiet moment.

That said, there's plenty of pop/metal/folk/etc music with hidden subtleties. Fancy audio gear can make it easier to detect these things, as well as listening to different setups since they will accentuate the recording in slightly different ways. It's like discussing the same topic with different people - each sheds a different light on the same thing.

Think of exerting the same effort towards listening that you would towards reading. Most people use music like wallpaper, which isn't necessarily bad, but it's kind of like drinking wine explicitly to get drunk (which does have its moments). Appreciate something beyond its surface impression.

As a final note, it's amazing/sad to consider that everywhere you go, music is mercilessly pumped through the walls, like it is as necessary as lighting. (waiting room, before a movie, sporting event, *all* stores, *all* restaurants).

Silence is underrated.

John

Aug 21, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #13 of 24
Thank you for all you comments/advices. It is true that I maybe I wanted too much to be able to make the difference between a $150 and a $300 pair of headphone.

I'll take my time, enjoy all the beauty of music, and the rest will come I guess.

Quote:

As a final note, it's amazing/sad to consider that everywhere you go, music is mercilessly pumped through the walls, like it is as necessary as lighting. (waiting room, before a movie, sporting event, *all* stores, *all* restaurants).

Silence is underrated.

I would not say that silence is underrated. I would say that most of the people are afraid of silence.

Why? Simply because silence is the most efficient way to get in touch with yourself. It is the best way to evaluate your feelings, to recognize your fears and to dissect your personality. People don't wanna do that.

If two persons are stuck together in a room, I'm sure they will be more comfortable if there is a constant noise in that room than if it is completely silent, even if they know each other. The noise will give them a chance to discuss about something. It is so easier to discuss banalities with a stranger or a friend that to discuss with yourself.

Aug 21, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #14 of 24
First of all let me say that the best way to enjoy the music is to get out of here and avoid the sickness a lot of us here have... upgradeitus. hehehe. ok you asked for it though... to start you off with critical listening, listen to a variety of music with your cans... don't listen critically, just enjoy. Then, visit some high end audio shops and headphone stores or visit your audiophile buddies and listen to their equipment with the same music. Notice if you hear details that you havent heard before and whether you enjoy the music more with the higher end equipment. find out if detail turns you on or if its the soundstage/imaging or sheer dynamics that float your boat. base your next purchase from what youve learned about yourself.
evil_smiley.gif

So, you see, critical listening will almost lead you to another purchase unless you are lucky and got the best equipment for your personal taste.
lambda.gif
Your questions and conversations about sound equipment and headphones will also get better when you understand all the audiophile linggo around here. Learn them and listen to pinpoint them when listening to different equipment.

Aug 21, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #15 of 24
Ah yes, the scene in Jack Rabbit Slim's ...

Mia: Don't you hate that?
Vincent: What?
Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody special. When you can just shut the ****** up for a minute and comfortably enjoy the silence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back