Learning to like AKG and Audio Technica (okay fine i found 3 pairs i kinda like)
Sep 3, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you find the Little Dot with the 650s ? Is it sufficient to drive them to their potential ?

Tks,

estreeter

Oh yes, without question! In the high setting, I seldom go above 9 or 10 o'clock. Excellent, synergistic pairing, I think.

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by daniele_g /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sextett: if they don't sound like an open AKG, which I know (guess you're talking about K501÷701), what do they sound like ?

ciao
daniele

The mid production Sextetts have a strong midbass, noticeably more than the HD580. The lower midrange is slightly emphasised which makes male voices have a bit more heft to them. The mids in general is forward. The treble sounded rolled off. I felt it lacks clarity, but others see it as just being warm. The headstage isn't is wide as that of an open AKG, but not as closed in as a typical closed headphone. It images fairly well. It's a pretty good headphone, but I preferred the K500, HD580, and normal bias Lambdas much more. I pretty much just used them when I wanted more midbass than the others could provide or when my roommate was doing homework.

Sep 3, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by doping panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mid production Sextetts have a strong midbass, noticeably more than the HD600. The lower midrange is slightly emphasised which makes male voices have a bit more heft to them. The mid in general is forward. The treble sounded rolled off. I felt it lacks clarity, but others see it as just being warm. The headstage isn't is wide as that of an open AKG, but not as closed in as a typical closed headphone. It images fairly well. It's a pretty good headphone, but I preferred the K500, HD580, and normal bias Lambdas much more. I pretty much just used them when I wanted more midbass than the others could provide or when my roommate was doing homework.

I completely agree. That's how I heard the sextett and I also prefer the k500.

Sep 3, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #34 of 52
And I think Subarus make the most hideous cars ever and I will never drive one. The BMW M3 or the Audi S4 destroys it in the looks department.

The didn't add anything to the forum, but neither did your last comments about Audio Technica. You can understand why YOU don't like AT, but to make generalized comments on how you can't see how people can like something is just incredible.

Perhaps I'm just getting the wrong tone from you and you most likely didn't mean it that way. If so, sorry for my caustic attitude. But everyone has opinions.

PS: I hate mushrooms. Anyone who likes mushrooms is a goomba.

Sep 3, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzarg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I think Subarus make the most hideous cars ever and I will never drive one. The BMW M3 or the Audi S4 destroys it in the looks department.

The didn't add anything to the forum, but neither did your last comments about Audio Technica. You can understand why YOU don't like AT, but to make generalized comments on how you can't see how people can like something is just incredible.

Perhaps I'm just getting the wrong tone from you and you most likely didn't mean it that way. If so, sorry for my caustic attitude. But everyone has opinions.

PS: I hate mushrooms. Anyone who likes mushrooms is a goomba.

You're an idiot. No, you're illiterate. Nope. I was right the first time.

Sep 3, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #36 of 52
I gotta admit, I'm a goomba...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #37 of 52
Lot's of goombas to be trudged on..

Sep 4, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #38 of 52
excuse my threadjacking OP, but this looks like a good place to ask a quick question on AT cans.
I did some searching to see what the differences between A700/A900/AD700/AD900 are (in sound of course, beyond the obvious factors like open vs closed). From what I have read, I think I would prefer the AD- line over A- line. Some say there is little difference between 700, 900 and 1000, others disagree. AD900 is a bit more refined with recessed mids, AD700 has more forward mids, right? I would rather try AD2000 above all, but thats a bit too much for my profusely bleeding wallet.

In a word, what would be a great AT phone that captures their 'house sound' without breaking my piggy bank? I think I have decent amplification in my PPX3, not that these lower AD cans are known to be all that amp dependent. I know you all have different tastes, so let's hear how many people think AD900 over AD700 is worth it.

Sep 4, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #39 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
excuse my threadjacking OP, but this looks like a good place to ask a quick question on AT cans.
I did some searching to see what the differences between A700/A900/AD700/AD900 are (in sound of course, beyond the obvious factors like open vs closed). From what I have read, I think I would prefer the AD- line over A- line. Some say there is little difference between 700, 900 and 1000, others disagree. AD900 is a bit more refined with recessed mids, AD700 has more forward mids, right? I would rather try AD2000 above all, but thats a bit too much for my profusely bleeding wallet.

In a word, what would be a great AT phone that captures their 'house sound' without breaking my piggy bank? I think I have decent amplification in my PPX3, not that these lower AD cans are known to be all that amp dependent. I know you all have different tastes, so let's hear how many people think AD900 over AD700 is worth it.

Hope this isn't thread-jacking but I had AD700/900 and AD2000. Considering the price I would pick AD900 but some people think they lack bass (especially people who like D2000, DT770 and so on..). I would choose them over AD700 for extra $100 or so. I don't recommend AD700 owners to upgrade (since they are similar) but if you were to purchase for the first time, it is safe to go with AD900.

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #40 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope this isn't thread-jacking but I had AD700/900 and AD2000. Considering the price I would pick AD900 but some people think they lack bass (especially people who like D2000, DT770 and so on..). I would choose them over AD700 for extra $100 or so. I don't recommend AD700 owners to upgrade (since they are similar) but if you were to purchase for the first time, it is safe to go with AD900.

Gotcha, now all I need is to wait for a good deal on AD900s... By any chance, did you get to try A700 and/or A900?

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotcha, now all I need is to wait for a good deal on AD900s... By any chance, did you get to try A700 and/or A900?

I only tried A900 briefly. But didn't like them that much.

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #42 of 52
Just did a quick price check, and AD700 is $81.53 at amazon (vs $159.99 at audiocubes), while AD900 is at a hefty $279.99. I just thought of it as buying a cheap set of cans so I could just get a feel of what AT sound is about, kinda like what I did with grado (tried sr60 for a bit). While I would try to avoid something too low-ish and falsely judge the company as a whole, that difference in price is rather large here. AD700 is definitely affordable, whereas AD900 is well... Might even forget about D7000 and consider getting a used AD2000 instead at that price point. A couple hundreds more than AD900, but still serious commitment either way instead of a capricious foray which would have been AD700.

Sep 4, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #43 of 52
A700 sound very different from the AD700 and in my opinion not in a good way. The midrange was seriously off on the A700.

Sep 5, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #44 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was referring to my modded W5000, which has more bass quantity and better impact. They go lower without losing details of high/mid.

Ive never heard a modded W5000 so i cant say. but i do know that the d7000 while retaining a similar sound sig to its predecessors actually has very controlled bass (after 100 hours burn-in in my experience).

and comparing a modded W5000 to a stock D7000 is not really fair b/c there are a few mods you can do to the D7000 which may actually make it sound better than your modded W5000. the LA7000 is supposed to sound amazing. and just changing the earpads of the D7000 is supposed to dramatically improve the sound.

anyway, it would be nice to hear a modded W5000. those phones have always intrigued me but i couldnt live with the lack of bass on the stock ones.

Sep 5, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #45 of 52
I have a/bed a LA7000 and a stock W5000 off the Melos Gold and Millet Max, my previous comments still hold true here IMO, "D7000 has more bass quantity while W5000 has better bass definition in addition to being much faster".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back