Learning about DIY amplifier.
Mar 8, 2015 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dynastyreaper

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm relatively new to this forum and I really want to learn about headphone amplifier. I've been searching around the forum for a couple of hours now, and most of the DIY thread I found is either about making cables or DIY kit. I really want to build (and hopefully design) my own amplifier circuits. So, I was wondering whether anyone can recommend me where to start( a book is fine). I want to eventually be able to know why a circuit designer place a specific resistor or capacitor there, or why a certain amplifier tube is prefer than others. I am a computer engineering student so I have some background in signal processing. But looking at certain amplifier circuits overwhelm me.

thanks!

Mar 8, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 7
  Hello,

I'm relatively new to this forum and I really want to learn about headphone amplifier. I've been searching around the forum for a couple of hours now, and most of the DIY thread I found is either about making cables or DIY kit. I really want to build (and hopefully design) my own amplifier circuits. So, I was wondering whether anyone can recommend me where to start( a book is fine). I want to eventually be able to know why a circuit designer place a specific resistor or capacitor there, or why a certain amplifier tube is prefer than others. I am a computer engineering student so I have some background in signal processing. But looking at certain amplifier circuits overwhelm me.

thanks!

You didn't like the answer I gave you earlier??

Mar 8, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 7
Sorry!! I didn't get the notification on the reply! I really appreciate your reply and will take a look at the book you recommend immediately. (In fact, I just bought it) However, do you have any recommendation on a book that contains a collection of amplifier circuits that is easy to understand? From the description of the book you recommend earlier, it's not really specific to amplifier.

thanks again and sorry!

Quote:
  You didn't like the answer I gave you earlier??

Mar 8, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 7

That book has chapters on amplifiers. But first it takes you through the basics needed to understand amplifier circuitry. You must walk before you can run.

The other link I provided has many basic amplifier circuits as well as the schematics for those circuits. You can experiment to your hearts content.

Here is another specifically about tube amplifiers.

http://www.amazon.com/Vacuum-Tube-Amplifier-Basics-Jurich/dp/1500938866/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425869417&sr=1-1&keywords=amplifier+circuits+basic

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 7
If you're into tube gear, tubecad.com has a very informative blog, and their website, glassware, has many good kits (all very customizable) that are very educational to build from. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but that's where I learned most of what I know about tubes and circuits (still have a long way to go though). If you go that route, I can always help if you have any trouble.

Other good sources of tube info are Valve Amplifiers and Building Valve Amplifiers (read this second) by Morgan Jones. I think they're available online as a PDF if you google it or you can buy the books.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 7
That book has chapters on amplifiers. But first it takes you through the basics needed to understand amplifier circuitry. You must walk before you can run.

The other link I provided has many basic amplifier circuits as well as the schematics for those circuits. You can experiment to your hearts content.

Hi Mr Rick, could you please post the links to the books above? Tx.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 7
Hi Mr Rick, could you please post the links to the books above? Tx.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Basic-Electronics-Softcover-ARRL/dp/0872590828/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1426045734&sr=8-7&keywords=arrl

http://stores.ebay.com/nightfireelectronickits/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back